SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
judithva_gw

Tablesettings part 2

judithva
17 years ago

Here is a different look, mixing the feminine with the masculine (Plaids and flowers) LOL

Comments (150)

• labmomma
    17 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

That is what I was getting at. The pewter IMHO, doesn't work with those particular placemats. Darn, I guess I will just have to find a set of sticks for an occasion when I use those mats. I have several sets of mats and all have worked with the pewter. I have been challenged with the pewter since painting the entire downstairs common areas soft gold.

I have to finish putting the straggling Christmas things away like the china closet which was decorated for the holidays will go back to a more "eclectic" feel. I use it to display the different seasonal china I have collected as well as a shelf of "oriental feeling" things I have collected/inherited/been given. I wish I had enough of it to do the entire room with that rich oriental feel. I do have enough to do the china closet, but am a little short of enough to do the rest of the two rooms. I am getting there slowly but surely.

Thanks for your input. You confirmed what I was originally thinking about the pewter and the copper - now very brown looking to me - placemats. Also, I have the beaded runner on the way from Target. Wonder where that will lead me?

• judithva
    Original Author
    17 years ago

labmomma, I spend a lot of time last night looking thru my many inspiration books and clippings, trying to find an example of a pairing with the "cool" of the pewter and the "warm" of the place mats. In your picture, the starkness of the empty bowl, makes the steel gray color of the bowl dominate everything. That throws us off a bit. The design of the candle sticks and bowl is fairly simple in lines, whereas the placemat is more fancy, the contrast is perhaps throwing us too. You would need for sure to fill the bowl with a selection of jeweled fruit or a silk flower arrangement. That way the pewter is more "subdued". And with a "complete" design in place you would be amazed how well things can pull together.

The beaded placemats are beautiful, I think they are lovely with your table, I know that photography sometimes doesn't capture how nice something really looks.

The color blue looks very, very nice with silver, often you will see blue paired with "shiny", but it is just as classic with a "toned down" pewter, for instance blue and white transferware would look great on pewter chargers or next to your pewter bowl and candlesticks. You will see this look in the Colonial style dining tablesettings from my memory of seeing other photos in the past.

What dishes do you own, can you put them in another photo for us, and pair it up with the placemat? Do you have any gold colored plates I don't mean the "fancy gold" but the gold type of color in your wall and napkin, I think gold colored plates, would look pretty with the placemat and the colored candles that you have in the candlesticks now, then when you put a flower arrangement with flower colors of golds, burnt oranges, browns, greens etc. I think once you add "everthing" the visual flow will be pretty. I will keep looking for a picture, becasue as we know a "picture is worth a thousand words"
    Unfortunately, I am a very visual person, I need to see the goodies in front of me (at least a photo) LOL And unfortuanately I am not a professional, I wish I could be of more help, I don't own any pewter (except for my small bird napkin rings) so I don't have a whole lot of experience with this particular situation...sorry But I see this as a challenge, so I will keep researching!

PS. Think about purchasing a pair of glass or crystal candle sticks or candle opera, that will go with alot and with your beautiful table and chairs. I use my crystal candles sticks with quite alot, so they are versatile. You can get lots of good deals at TJ max, Marshalls, Ross, even Walmart and Target, it is a good investment IMHO

• Related Discussions

Two-part Plant I.D. please - Part 2

Q

Comments (3)
    Manfreda virginica. Here is a link that might be useful: Manfreda
    ...See More

Oops, I sent you to part one, here's part 2 of the story of my ne

Q

Comments (2)
    It is going to be just wonderful this year as your plants should be well established and the flowerbeds full of flowers. They should completely fill in that bed. Can't wait to see it then. Great blog. Keep up the great work and keep us informed. ~Annie
    ...See More

update: 2nd annual fotess yard sale! part 2

Q

Comments (150)
    Here's an update from me! 1.Bulbous Bonanza Iris-Candy Apple and Daylily Avis Jean - JAYEANNE - shipped today 2. Naturally Native - Spicebush, Black Cohosh and Virgin's Bower seedlings - PEGGY - waiting for cooler temps 3. 6 issues of Better Homes and Gardens magazine - VINA - shipped today Shirley, I think your bird is a Yellowlegs, and I lean towards the Lesser Yellowlegs. Love the photo of your daughters, Heidi! Shirley, I received your magazines today! Yay!! I did not receive your email. BOO!!! I am jealous of the Giant Swallowtails gracing the gardens of Shirley and Ruth! That's so exciting.
    ...See More

Part #2: Dining Room & Table

Q

Comments (14)
    Karen, thanks! The "drapes" came in these packages for $1 each at the DS. I found that you really need to shop in mid-to-late September to get the best things there. Prosperity: Thanks! I bought those plain white bread plates at GW for 50-cents each. As for the colors, I have to credit all you here for inspiring me on that. OA: no, I just cut up the plastic door cover/mural and taped the pieces right to the glass that is covering the paintings. Luckily all were watercolors and pastels. I used blue painters tape, but would still be afraid to tape anything directly on an oil painting :~O As for my chargers, they're just cheap plastic ones from HL that I got on sale for $2 each several years ago. I had planned on using the spray paint made specifically for plastic, but their purple was too muddy and muted for what I wanted. To use a regular spray paint, you really need to, first lightly sand them, then use a base coat before the color coat; and finally a clear top coat so that the color doesn't scratch off. Lynne, Jane, Punk, Jeanne & Nana: thanks! DG: I took the sticky stencils that Luvs sent me and, first adhered them where I wanted the designs. I then used a long darning needle to peel up the middle pumpkin body part, leaving the eyes, nose and mouth on the plates. After I pounced them with black glass paint, I peeled up the adhesive eyes, etc. and there were my darling little jack-o-lanterns! (Sorry if those directions are as clear as mud; I'm still a novice at stencils!). As for the things I used to make the napkin rings, I sewed elastic, pulled taut, to the undersides of (approx. 7"), sections of Halloween ribbon. I then hand-sewed them together to make the rings and hot glued these 4" x3" cardboard pieces to them. I bought these wall hangings at TJM back in September (for $7.99 or $5.99), to use for napkin rings. I wanted to make my own one of a kind ones. Here's how they originally came: Luvs: thank you for the lovely compliments and for the stencils! I haven't hemmed the spiderweb tablecloth, but do plan on hemming it today before I pack it away . . . just in case. As for the thought process behind the painting coverings, those SW paintings just took the life out of my Halloween decorated rooms, and I knew I had to cover them up with something. I first looked at wrapping paper, but the patterns were all too small and repetitious. I then looked for inexpensive posters, but these days they all seemed to be cartoons and celebrities. Finally, I ran across several door cover/murals at the DS and knew that this specific one (below) would give me the coverage, variety and semi-realism I wanted. It was only $1, too. As you can see, I pieced it to give me four covers, but needed to use the added on cardboard cut-outs ($1 for all six @ DS!!) to a few of the plainer ones (cat, owl & skull). Well, I hope that I've answered all the questions. Now it's on to Autumn and Thanksgiving! Lynn
    ...See More
  • judithva
    Original Author
    17 years ago

tamgypsy, I am sorry you can't find it where you are at, if you would like, this weekend I can go to the Ross store and see if they still have anymore bunnies, and I could send it to you, I am not sure whether the mailing cost would add up the cost too much for it to be still worth it for you?? Let me know.
    Feel free to copy away, after all that's why were all here to see what we can "take away for ourselves" with what works. Definately go for it. Gosh, I do a lot of copying too, even if you can't copy, a lot of my decor is done on "subsitutions" after all sometimes it is hard to find the exact thing, but as long as you can extract the "flavor" of the design then it will still work (but even better if you can find it exactly.. what fun!!!)

• tamgypsy
    17 years ago

Oh Judith that would be wonderful!!! If you can find one at Ross you could send me an email with the cost involved and I'll mail you the money for the bunny and the mailing costs. At that point let me know what you prefer cash, money order etc. I would just love to have one like yours and I will find a place for him...I could put him after the easter season in my office he would look nice in there...I am keeping my fingers crossed. Thank you soooo much Judith for making that offer I never expected that...:)

• tamgypsy
    17 years ago

Labmomma,
    I saw some left over beaded fruit just a few days ago at Tuesday morning. I think some beaded fruit might help to tie it in. This discussion is very interesting to me since I have some pewter items I inherited from my mom. I have a couple of candle holders and about 8 little expresso cups that have pewter saucers, cup holders and porcelain cup inserts. For now they just sit in my corner hutch but I might try to see if I can fit them into a small side table set up. Most of my colors in my home are earthtones tans, browns, gold and greens.

• judithva
    Original Author
    17 years ago

tamgypsy, I just sent you an email.

Judy

• judithva
    Original Author
    17 years ago

labmomma, here are some inspiration photos from a model home tour I went on in Sept.

Examples of gold walls, with darker wood furniture like you have and of course tablesetting accessory ideas. HTH

{{gwi:1461412}}
    {{gwi:1461414}}
    {{gwi:1461417}}

• labmomma
    17 years ago

Judy - I'll take those end chairs in the last picture. They will go a long way toward making those beaded mats work;))). Thanks for the brainstorming.

I am going to go thru all of the goods around the house over the weekend to see what I can come up with.

I have enough pewter to choke on (another bad habit). I formerly had my home decorated in a much different decor. Camelback tapestry sofa, etc. It all looked very pulled together until DH decided "we" wanted black leather furniture in the living room. It took me four months to finally find the exact pieces I wanted (smaller scale than that oversized looking leather stuff). I love what I have chosen, it is pulling it all together that is the thing. I have mixed antiques with the black leather and it really gives a nice appearance with the cherry pieces.

I could easily move into any of those homes you were so kind to take pics of on your house tour. LOL.

I think a trip to Marshalls, TJ's and Home Goods will be on my to do list this weekend. I am a bit upset about their security breach tho, I don't know if you saw anything about it on the news yesterday. Apparently if you have used a debit or credit card in one of their stores any time since 2002, your identity is at risk. I live in those stores, especially with DD being the fashion at a bargain price queen....

Stores affected: Home Goods, TJ Maxx, A.J. Wright and Marshalls - all the fun ones :(

• patty_cakes
    17 years ago

Am so excited~my white dishes from JCP came yesterday! I love the Butler's Pantry, and think these are just as pretty, but are a solid white, and don't have that antiqued look. Now just have to box up all the pink(which I love!)and get the white out and displayed.

Judith, I can't remember if I posted on any of the threads That I found the mini candle lamps at Big Lots~they were $15 each and I got four, but really want eight. Will go back in a couple of weeks and get four more~don't think they'll 'blow' out the door as the holidays are over.LOL Since I have 5 grown children with tow spouses, my dinners alwys have at least eight people~there's always at least three of the kids that 'expect' an invitation! LOL

I found the cutest little cabbage leaf plate with two bunnies holding it(BL also). They also had them with chicks holding the plate, but I thought bunnies are not only for Easter. The plate is about the size of a saucer. It could hold a candle, but a few cute pastel candies/eggs on it would look TOO cute! That's *my* Easter shopping so far. LOL

patty_cakes

• tamgypsy
    17 years ago

Judith... I love those first two pictures and did copy them for inspiration...:)

Patty... i can relate to your excitement to get your dishes...:)
    I felt that way last week...:)

I saw those candle lamps at BL too but it was a choice between those or the bunny plates at TJ Maxx and the bunny plates won...lol
    My family dinners are usually 12 but since I had a tough time finding for the accent pieces twelve of each I tried to get six bowls and six matching plates and he I'll alternate in each placesetting and if I have only six people over then they all can match...LOL
    That cabbage leaf plate sounds cute you got to take pictures so we all can see...:)

• Sandi_W
    17 years ago

Patty_cakes, Congrats on receiving your new white dishes. I know you will love using them.
    I'm so glad you found the mini candle lamps at BL. We have a BL here and hopefully they will have them still when I can go. I always need 8 of everything too. Your little cabbage leaf plates sound so cute and it will look great holding the little Easter candies. Can't wait to see it all. Sandi

• luvstocraft
    17 years ago

Wait a minute! I am lost! What candle lamps? I missed out on something. Got any pics of them? Are you talking about the ones like Judith uses on her table? The votive holder with the pretty top?

Pattycakes, congrats on the new plates. Hope we get to see a pic real soon.

Judith, those pics from the home tour are beautiful. I plan to go back to look at them again.

Luvs

• patty_cakes
    17 years ago

Luvs, I don't want to keep you in the dark, but they were on Judith's table where she used the plaid fabric. They're used individually at each place setting~I love that! I think they add just a little element of surprise! I've always used candles in the middle of the table, but like the idea of each person having their own little candle. ;o)

patty_cakes

• luvstocraft
    17 years ago

Oh yes, those were so pretty and added so much sparkle. Wow! I've recently been to two Big Lots, but didn't see anything like that--but maybe I wasn't really looking for them. Were they in the candle area in your Big Lots?

I went to Ross and a different Marshal's today. No Bunnies like Judith found. Lots of smaller ones but some were plastic and a few were white ceramic. I did see the cute little bunny holding the cabbage leaf. Very cute.

I bought a very large cabbage plate sort of like the one in Judith's small table pic, and a cute little bunny shaped plate. Also found an nice ivory plate with a fancy edge I couldn't pass up! I loved looking at everything, but then I spend more than I should! I'll try to take some pics tomorrow to post for you gals. Oh, yeah, I even bought two pair of new jeans--I won't post a pic of them tho! Ha ha

Luvs

Luvs

• tamgypsy
    17 years ago

Oh luvs it looks like you had great shopping success..:)
    I am looking forward to the pictures..:)
    A little OT, I am originally from Germany and have lived here for about 16 years. When my mom was alive and came to visit me in the US we used to love to go shopping together, we had very much the same interests and taste and had so much fun. When we would come back from our shopping trips my mom would always say in broken english with a very heavy german accent: "We got nice "loot" today"...LOL
    It always made me laugh and even though I explained to her it was not the proper word or sentence to use, it stuck with us. Even now after she's been gone me and my sons still use that expression and laugh...:)
    Reporting on all our 'finds' in these posts reminded me of that...:)

• judithva
    Original Author
    17 years ago

tamgypsy, the alternating "look" will work great, I have done that myself and it makes a pretty and interesting table.
    Hey ladies if you got new dishes and have a digi camera, give use some pics so we can "play" LOL I live vicariously thru you all that have different dishes, after all I can't afford to buy them all (but I am trying LOL)

tamgypsy, I love your mom's saying, that is exactly how I feel after a good shopping trip, she sounds like she was a gem! You and your sons have some great memories of her, there is no better gift than that.

• Sandi_W
    17 years ago

tamgypsy, I love your Mother's expression. I had a dear friend born and raised in Germany who had some wonderful expressions. She is gone now, but just thinking of her make me smile.

I have a table setting question for yall. All of my dishes to be used in my kitchen are the ironstone (I think that's what it is) look. Is it inappropriate to use fine china or transparent glass salad plates with the ironstone plates? I would like to dress my casual plates up a little sometimes. I saw some "Royal Albert" salad plates at T J Maxx last night that I would love to have. Sandi

• judithva
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Sandi, that depends, sometimes I can mix my china with stoneware and simpler pieces, depends on the item. Can you post a pic of your ironstone plates? Clear plates can be used almost anywhere, I have clear dinner plates (Walmart) and I used them extensively.

• Sandi_W
    17 years ago

Judith, I have 8 piece place settings of both the black and the white. They are really plain, but I like them. Thanks, Sandi

• judithva
    Original Author
    17 years ago

sandi, oh sure, the Royal Albert bread and butter/salad dishes would be fine on your white plate. I do that all the time with my plain white plates, yours do not appear "rustic" that is why I think the china you are talking about would look great. I have a bunch of that china too. I told you I was a dish junkie.

So IMHO, I think it would look wonderful, remember to bring other colors in on your table from the Royal Albert plates, so that everything "flows". Whether it be flowers, candles, place matt, figureines, napkins, drinking glasses etc. With decorating tables to get that look, you have to go the extra mile.

And like I said earlier, the clear glass plates will go well with just about anything.

I adore black, you can use any kind of color with black too, you will have to be more carefull mixing with fine china, because of the pattern/style. Black is tricker, whereas the white plate that you have will often go with any china and long as the china you choose has the white color in it. For instance I have Lenox, creme colored china, but in the rim design it carries the color black, resulting in the instant dressing up of the table.

• patty_cakes
    17 years ago

Oh luvs, sorry you didn't have any luck with the 'mini's'~yes, they were in the candle section, but with BL you never know. You may find them in the 'decorator items' area. They were on the very top shelf. A lot of the time I find things 'up' that are not out and in plain sight. That's where I found some 'Venetian-like' mirrored sconces and mirrored tray~look up! LOL I used the tray in the middle of my DR table as part of a Christmas arrangement.

I saw the beautiful lace-edged plate and they also had a cake plate to match~almost bought that! And saw the cabbage leaves, in pink also, but they only had two of he smaller ones. Some of the green ones were on sale, and some were not~guess it depends if they were recent arrivals or not. You still have time to find some bunnies! LOL Oh, and we want to see the jeans too! ;o)

T'gypsy, your Mother's expression brought a smile to my face~what a wonderful memory! It's a good feeling, especially at the sale price. I'll usually say I found some 'treasures'.

Sandi, i've always loved the Royal Albert with the bright pink Roses and gold edges~why don't you buy a couple of pieces to 'try'. If you don't care for how it looks, you can always return it. I could see a red/white toile with your black and white dishes~it's more like a rasberry than a pure red~i'm just thinking something with a print. A black/white toile with the black dishes would look awesome~maybe salad/dessert plates. Just saw some at TJ Max. They weren't fine china, but not ironstone either. White tablecloth, and bright pink/red napkins and you're all ready for Valentine's day! ;o)

patty_cakes

• Sandi_W
    17 years ago

Judith, Thanks for your help. I really thought the Royal Albert was way too dressy for my white plates, but was hoping.
    Patty_cakes, I would love to have the Royal Albert, but 8x8 is 64. Just can't afford them right now. I didn't see any black/white toile at our T J Maxx last night. I'll keep my eyes open though. I saw some black/white salad plates online that I was thinking about for later. In fact, I've seen quite a few different salad plates I would like to have online, but either can't find them in any stores or they don't have 8 of them.
    I also like mixing just the black and white together. I'm looking for some black and white stripe napkins now. I also want some black, white and pink floral ones. I may have to sew them myself. Sandi

• judithva
    Original Author
    17 years ago

sandi, Ihere is a pic of one of my blk and white toile plates, its a bit blurry, I got them at TJ Max and Marshalls, they have them there quite alot, and very affordable.

here is another pic, it is not my design or photo, it is from Nell Hill, Carole Garrity's "open house". Not too fancy, but not plain either, just right IMHO

• Sandi_W
    17 years ago

Judith, Neither T J Maxx nor Marshall's had the black toile plates last night, but I will check in there often hoping they get them back in. I love them! Are they black and cream? Please tell me they have some type of large serving piece to match that could be used in the center of the table.
    The pic of the napkin and flower from Nell Hill is just what I'm looking to do with my black and white mixed. I can also see using just the black and white sets and adding color with the napkins and accessories.
    Thanks for posting the pics.

• judithva
    Original Author
    17 years ago

sandi, I think you will be able to find them (blk and white) toile plates, I have seen them off and on for at least 3 yrs, they will probably have them back once the holidays is further past, since the Valentine and Easter stuff takes up alot of space.

The blk and white toile plates..... in answer to your question, are they blk and cream?. The background color is neither white-white, nor is it a true cream color. I have used these against my white-white plates and they look fine, but once they get them in you can judge for your self to see if they suit your needs. HTH

• Sandi_W
    17 years ago

Thank you Judith. I'll surely be on the look-out for them. And it's good to know you use them with your white plates. Sandi

• tamgypsy
    17 years ago

Judith...I love the black and white toile plates...since my diningroom is black and tan...something like that would appeal to my monochromatic side...:)
    Probably a good thing that those plates are not in the stores right now...with all my recent purchases and one on the way..:) I have to wait a little to build up my decorating funds...lol
    sandi...those white and black dishes have great potential...they are a great neutral...I think just based on different salad plates, bowls porcelain or cut glass, napkins and tableclothes, candleholders, glassware as well as your centerpiece your dishes can be dressed up in soooo many different ways...it the reason why I purchased based on Judith recommendation a set of white dishes because the potential is endless...:)
    I have a question based on the picture with the silkflower as a napkin ring...is there anything you use in place of napkin rings? Any creative ideas? When my youngest son was little for some of his parties I used twizzlers as napkin rings...I have used raffia when I set up my patio table for a cook out...what else do you use?

• luvstocraft
    17 years ago

Sandi, Your black and white plates are really nice. If you happen to have the B&B plates too, you could sure do some mix & match with them. Like your ideas for the napkins too. Have to tell you I was a little surprised that your plates were not in a soft pastel color (or maybe you have some of those too) because I know you love pastels, especially pinks.

Pattycakes, thanks for the "heads up" on the candle lights. I am only 5'1", so I am vertically challenged. Ha ha I imagine that I often miss the things they put on the top shelves.

Judith, I love your black & white toile pattern--probably because it has roses in it--I love anything that has roses. Those would make an elegant table setting. When you do that one, I sure hope you'll post pics for us.

Tamgypsy, love the story about your Mom's saying--what a priceless memory. I have an older friend who is from Germany. She was a customer at my bank and came in for help with balancing her statement and writing her checks after her husband passed away. The girls sent her to me since I was the branch manager at the time. I still help her every month even though I no longer work at that bank. Her daughters are in Washington, so she has no family close by to help her. She cleaned houses until she was 72, and even now helps some of her neighbors when they need help. We often go to our little german deli for lunch.

As for napkin rings, I've tied mine with ribbons, I've used the raffia and tucked a little sunflower in, and I have some wooden painted ones for patio use. Oh, yeah, I have some little ceramic duck ones too--gosh I haven't used those in years!

Luvs

• Sandi_W
    17 years ago

Tamgypsy, Besides napkin rings I have used several different ideas. For my pink Christmas, I use white napkins and I made a small arrangement for each one. I use the old world looking angels, a few small flowers and baby's breath which I attach with pink satin ribbons. And like Luvs, I've used different ribbons and raffia with different flowers. For other holidays I've used small figures relating to the holiday like for St Paddy's day I've used small leprechauns with a few shamrocks attached with green and gold ribbons.

Luvs, I have pastel pink glass dinnerware and a VERY old set of Mikasa "Silk Bouquet" that is in pastel colors. I would love to mix the Mikasa with my white, but it has a cream background and just does not match. And I do have the full sets of the black and white. I even like them mixed with nothing else.

And Judith, I too would like to see one of your tablesettings with your black and white toile.

Sandi

• patty_cakes
    17 years ago

This was posted by Judith over in the Home Decorating forum in the gallery. I hope you don't mind me taking it upon myself and posting it here for the ladies to use as a sort of 'reference guide' when needed. When reading it in 'black and white' it all seems so logical, but in actuality and when tying to do it yourself, it becomes a bit more difficult/complicated.

Having the 'recipe' right in front of you might make the task easier~all we can do is hope. Thanks again, Judith.

Posted by judithva (My Page) on Thu, Dec 14, 06 at 10:43

Patricia43, thank you you are sweet to say this, and yes Cattknap is very talented!!
    I know you can do it, if I can you can! I spent a lot of time studying other magazine pics, and how they set them up and how they photograph them, then I just subsitute, or add on what pleases me, sometimes I am pleased with what I do and sometimes it's "Ho Hum" LOL. Truely any one can do it, just do the "copy cat" thing LOL
    Lots of times I head out in one direction, but as I work it, it will change directions which works out most of the time.
    A lot of my things are interchangeable, so you will see a lot of "repeat" items, that is what makes it affordable, but still takes on a different life with other china patterns. I often just stick with my basic "formula" (which you see in any ettiquette table setting book) and it all pulls together (most of the time)
    1. place matts
    2. chargers of some design (mirror, cloth, beaded, metal etc
    3. dinner plate
    4. salad plate and or bread and butter plate
    5. bowl if I have them in the china style that I'm using (which is rare, bowls in china are expensive)!(often I will use a crystal bowl (they go with most any pattern) or a plain white bowl, same thing, white goes with almost anything.
    6. silverware
    7. cloth napkin
    8. napkin rings (sometimes)
    9. mini vases (sometimes)
    10. mini wine carfeas (spelling?) (actually small glass flower vases just the right shape, little secret there LOL
    11. flower arrangement (sometimes) depends if I use something else
    12. Object of attention in the middle (anything of interest to me), porcelians, figurines, vases, candlesticks large soup tureen, pitchers, grouping of like things
    13. Glass ware, or crystal drinking glasses
    14. The list goes on, most people have most of these things in their home, they just need to incorporate them in their designs. The fun thing is in the mixing of the dishes and patterns, it makes it very interesting. Of course sometimes I just use my complete set of china with no subsitutions, I just try to make it exciting in other ways.
    I guess I could go on and on, but just thought I'd throw out some thoughts here.
    Wow, was that more than you asked for LOL sorry

• judithva
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi all,
    Once GW starts behaving I can post more pics, I am even having trouble with my Photobucket this morning, if it improves I'll post some more magazine photo inspirations in response to some of peoples requests here.

Patticakes, no, I don't mind you posting that, I hope it helps. In fact I know seeing it written is never as good as "seeing" photos so I am planning on doing a "white plate" tutorial since it is a excellent place to start, a lot of my designs in my home will center off my white or creme plates, if any one is interested.

I also have a different style of tutorial that helps people to train their eye (at least it helped me) so if there is interest in this I will post it too. ( I don't want to seem pushy with my stuff/ideas here and offend people).

• Sandi_W
    17 years ago

Judith, I never tire of hearing your ideas or seeing your pics. I hope this board gets back to working normally soon.

Sandi

• judithva
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Some napkin ring ideas, ribbons, pretty hair scrunchies (there are some really nice ones out there, Bracelets (look for them on clearence.

excuse some of the pics, I took them in a hurry this morning before work (pic of a magazine pic)

Easter: Jelly beans strung on a wire
    {{gwi:1406177}}

Bracelets and brooches

{{gwi:1461429}}

Purchase the butterflys at Crafts stores
    {{gwi:1461431}}

See the orchid, at the bottom left. You can buy very realistic looking Orchids at Michaels art and Craft store, usually there is 4 to 6 on a branch, tuck it into the napkin ring holding your napkin of choice. (of course this works well with any nice real or silk flower you may have in order to enhance your table setting)
    {{gwi:1461433}}

• paintingfool
    17 years ago

I love the idea about jewelry as napkin rings, I have over 300 pins that I wore on my jackets for work and now that I am retired I rarely wear them. Wonder if they will look good with a coordinating bracelet, or just pinned on? Your thoughts, Judith.

I have used the hair accessories before and you can find some really good deals at the Beall's Outlet if you have one nearby. I get the senior discount (over 50) so I can get 15% off on Mondays and have my card punch once for every $10 I spend. If I time it right I can get 15% off plus another 20% once my card is completely punched. It's a good deal.

• judithva
    Original Author
    17 years ago

painting fool,
    Wow, you have a whole treasure trove of great napkins adornments. I think the pins would look fine with a coordinating bracelet, the 2nd napkin ring example posted above shows a pin with and (it appears)a small jeweled bracelet, but you could certainly just pin the brooch on the napkin. OR, instead of the bracelet, just run a pretty ribbon thru the pin on the back of the broach to secure it to the napkin.

I think one can use some looser "rules" with creativity in something like this, that is what makes an exciting tablesetting IMHO. I'm looking forward to seeing some of your creative adorned napkins.

Oh ya, the pins don't have to be the same exact pins for each napkin, depending on the setting of course. Say for instance if your dishes are all blue and white, then try to use your collection of blue and white inspired pins, unless you are looking for contrast.

TIP: Those christmas pins that stores have plenty of left over after Christmas are great to use for napkins on a Christmas table.

I have never heard of a Bealls Outlet, we don't have one of those around here, bummer.. But it sounds like you can make out quite good shopping there!

• tamgypsy
    17 years ago

Sandi..and Judith...thank you for the napkin ring ideas...I will try some of them...quite a few I never even thought of...:)
    patty...thank you for reposting Judith's post...I was looking for that the other day...now I know where to find it...plus I copied it..lol
    Judith...I am looking forward to the 'white plate' tutorial and the 'training the eye' one...I for one am begging for help lol and I will not be by the least bit offended by any advice or critique given by you or any of the other posters...that's how I'll learn...:)
    I also loved the pictures and copied them all...lol

Oh btw was browsing through one of our Marshalls during lunch (actually contained myself not to buy anything...LOL)...they had some of the small pink scalloped edge bunny plates and some of the medium pink bunny plates with the bunny raised in the center of the plate...but no pink cabbage plates...:(

Oh judith...btw your envelope is in the mail :)

• patty_cakes
    17 years ago

Judith, bring on your 'tutorials'! I think we're all ready for any new 'learning experiences', especially anything with cream/white ideas. Like pf, I am never offfended by someone offering good advice or critique-ing. I am always open to new suggestions.

Loved all the napkin ring suggestions! Pf, use those pins!! Myself and a friend went to the garment district in LA this summer, and she bought dragon fly pins and hot glued them onto inexpensive metal napkin rings~FYI, you can find tons of these at thrift stores!

For Th'G and Christmas I decided to experiment and make my own. I had several wooden rings from a thrift store, but not quite enough~I found the very same thing at Michaels' for .99 each. They were in the aisle with unfinished wood things, very bottome shelf, so you might have to look HARD. I took wire ribbon(2 1/2" or 3")and wound it around each ring,and secured each end with hot glue. Bought stems of glitter leaves and stems that had sprigs of beads instead of flowers or leaves. I cut off all the leaves and all the sprigs from each stems. First glued on the leaf, and then one of the sprigs of beads. I also cut off a few individual beads and glued about three in the place where the leaf/sprig were glued on to cover the area. I made sixteen for each holiday. DD helped with the Th'g ones, and it took the two of us about 2 hours. Now i'm tryng to come up with an idea for Easter~will use the new white plates so want somethnig pastel.

The Th'g ones were in colors of brown/gold(not metallic) beads,and olive green velvet ribbon/gold(metallic)edges. I used gold table linens. For Christmas I used a teal/silver/clear irridescent combination. The ribbon was a sheer teal/glittery design/silver edges(Joann's). Leaves were silver and sprigs of beads were irridescent. This was my gift to the hosstess since the dinner wasn't at my home, and I knew she was using teal as the main color. Her tablecloth was ivory, and napkins 8 ivory and 8 teal. Got a lot of compliments on both and was told I should 'sell them on ebay'.LOL It was a fun project, and not difficult at all. There are so many choices in ribbon, and like I said, try your thrift store for some cheap napkin rings that you can cover, even plastic can be used. I'm all about saving money! ;o)

patty_cakes

• luvstocraft
    17 years ago

PF, 300 pins? My word, you almost have enough to wear a different pin every day of the year! Since you no longer wear them as often, it would be wonderful to find some nice ribbon and put a pin on it and tie them on as napkin rings--don't even have to use a bracelet (unless you have a bunch of them on hand too!). Something as pretty as those pins shouldn't just lay around in a drawer unused.

Pattycakes, I would love to see pics of your napkin rings! Sounds like they turned out really nice. Don't think I have ever seen any at the TS, but I've only been going there since I learned to make garden "totems" on the garden junk forum. I'll have to look for them from now on. Thanks for the heads up on that.

Judith, you are so kind to share what you have learned with all of us. I'm eager to read, see, and learn anything you want to share. I am really enjoying all the wonderful magazine clippings you have shared. In fact, I brought some of my saved decorating mags on this trip so I could look back through them again concentrating on table settings and vignettes this time.

How are you posting the magazine clippings? Just taking a pic of it close up with your digital camera? If so, that was a very clever idea.

Luvs

• Sandi_W
    17 years ago

paintingfool, Your pins would be wonderful as napkin rings. Please show us when you get some done.

Judith, I was in Marshall's today and they had 1 bowl of your black and white toile. I fell in love with it immediately. It is absolutely beautiful. I have a have a set of salad plates as soon as I find them.

Patty_cakes, Your napkins rings sound so cute. I made myself a note to make some.

Sandi

• Sandi_W
    17 years ago

I went to every store today that we've talked about here. I found very few round placemats and no beaded ones. Are they usually a Christmas item? I guess that means I'll have to wait a year to find some? :~(

I also couldn't find any pink napkins to match my Valentine plates. I have 4 different sets of pink napkins, each set a different shade of pink, and none of them match. These plates are such an odd color pink.

Has anyone seen any silver (not real silver) chargers with the brushed nickel look? And can anyone recommend a good place to buy plain silver (again, not real) chargers at a really good price?

Judith, I went back and looked at your pics at the Home Decorating Gallery to see what stemware you had paired with your green seeded ones and noticed they were "smooth" glass. Does that mean I need to stick with smooth to use with my clear seeded?

Sandi

• patty_cakes
    17 years ago

Hi Sandy, since i'm not usually looking for round placemats, I don't pay too much attention. They may be a seasonal thing, tho.

Kohl's and Sears had silver chargers at Christmas, but they might all be gone now. If I see any will pick them up for you~am sure they are 75% off by this time. They looked brushed not shiny, but can't say whether or not they looked like brushed nickel.

Why can't you use various shades of the pink napkins instead of all the same? I think that would look great, especially if you are using more than 5 or 6. I would stick with the ones that blend the best. Who ever said you *have* to use all the same color?

I'm going shopping again tomorrow to look for the white bunnies~i've got them in my head and they're hoppin' all over the place. LOL I'm thinking of using them at Christmas, and maybe for Easter, if i'm not in NC. ;o)

patty_cakes

• tamgypsy
    17 years ago

sandy...I saw the silver chargers just last week at Linens and things...I also saw white napkins with pink trim at marshalls and Joanns had sets of 4 napkins, they had different sets in white, pink, yellow and light blue in the easter section. I haven't seen any of the round beaded placemats around either. I think they may be a more seasonal item. Traget had red heartshaped ones but at $9.99 each they were too pricey for me.

Patty I saw at Marshalls an all white bunny, kind of shabby chic looking that was about 6 inches tall. I would also love to see a picture of the napkin rings you made. They sound wonderful and I may be able to pull something like that off...:)

• Sandi_W
    17 years ago

Patty_cakes, Round place mats in brushed silver would do very nicely. Thanks for the offer. And it's not just that my pinks don't match, they clash.

Tamgypsy, I was just in Marshall's yesterday and was very disappointed in their selection of table linens. I didn't see any white with pink trim. I didn't think to check Joann's so thanks for that tip.

See patty_cakes, we ALL want to see your napkin rings. ;~)

Sandi

• judithva
    Original Author
    17 years ago

luvs, yes, I take my camera and take a pic of the magazine pictures, I dont have a scanner, and probably will never get one (I'm cheap) I would rather spend my money on...can you guess.....DISHES (yes, I am sick)

Sandi, glad you found some black and white toile dishes, they still don't have them in my stores, but they will soon they usually do get them in every year. As for the beaded mattes, you just have to keep an eye out for them, they do put them out throughout the year (people buy them fast)
    Sandi, I mix my stem ware in all kinds of ways, no you don't have to use smooth, I used it because it just happened to work for me, but I would also use "cut" crystal too. I love the mix of all the textures of glass ware together.
    You can usually get pink cloth napkins at Linens and Things and Bed Bath and Beyond around the Easter season, (so start looking now) otherwise, pink is very, very difficult to find (around here).

Patticakes, yes, lets see those napkin rings...

• dreamgoddess
    17 years ago

Hi everyone...I'm a very long time lurker on this website and finally decided to bite the bullet and register last week. I wanted to let ya'll know how much I've enjoyed reading these threads. I've gotten so much inspiration from the ideas ya'll have and the beautiful photos that have been posted! I knew I had found a wonderful place when I read about and saw all the Christmas decorating in pink. For years, I've thought I was all alone in my holiday pink, so it's good to know I'm not! My family loves to tell me how crazy it is to decorate the house in pink for Christmas...but they've gotten used to it by now.

Judith, I think the dinnerware in your "pink" photo is simply beautiful. Would you please tell me what pattern/maker it is?

I'm really looking forward to getting to know all of you and sharing ideas for making our lives more beautiful!

Kim

• judithva
    Original Author
    17 years ago

dreamgoddess, welcome from lurkdom, everyone here is super nice and has great ideas, you are sure to enjoy yourself here.

Yes, I love pink too, it can be hard to find, but if you search enough.....
    The pink china is made by Royal Doultan, and is called: Lady Caryle, I had bought mine from an outlet, that is no longer here in my area, but there is an outlet near Washington DC that I know off, my DD has been there, but I haven't gone yet.... 4 hrs away :(

• Sandi_W
    17 years ago

dreamgoddess, Welcome to our obsessions! We are so happy to have another enabler among us. ;~)

Every room in my house has different degrees of pink so Christmas decorating with pink fits right in. I'm so happy to meet another pink lover.

Sandi

• tamgypsy
    17 years ago

dreamgoddess ...welcome to dish-a-holics anonymous...LOL
    Glad that you came out of lurkdom...the more the better...:)
    This means that we all now get to bug you about your creatve ideas and pictures if you have a camera and opinions on our projects...and on and on...LO...but it is sooo much fun...:)

• patty_cakes
    17 years ago

Hi Kim, and welcome! Get ready to be knocked off your feet by a group of great women~no men, YET! LOL

I share your enthusiasm for a pink Christmas~it's been about 30 years since I stated, and don't show signs of slowing down. My kids, and others, don't think i'm as odd as when I first started with the 'obcession' since pink has become a little more popular. I do add white and gold to it, so at least I show a little preference for 'other colors'.LOL

I do have pink in my sitting room/kitchen areas of my home, too, so decorating with pink hasn't escaped me either!LOL

We would love to see pictures of anything you would like to share~don't be shy. ;o)

patty_cakes

• labmomma
    17 years ago

Hi girls, all of your bunnies and Easter talk inspired me to check out the TJ Maxx and I found a cute bunny plate like Judith's green in yellow. I am going to use it to serve asparagus for Easter. Found a pink patterned china candy dish with a gold rim which I couldn't resist at $3.99. I couldn't find enough of any salad plates (even mixing colors) to use for Easter dinner since I have 12 places to do. I think I will check out Home Goods to see if they have any nice spring salad plates. The Home Goods store has a little more in the way of inventory than our Marshalls or TJ's. DH is going to wish I never found this forum. LOL, I am deciding my menu based on the "finds". How crazy is that????

Judith, love the pics of the place settings and napkin rings. I think I may attempt the jelly bean rings, but am curious what type of wire would that be? I am also looking at the beads in the beading section of AC Moore, perhaps I may do something beaded???? Sky's the limit.

Paintingfool, I thought I had alot of pins, but I have no where near as many as you. LOL. You are a lucky girl. I am a pin girl also, and love when I find a great pin. I think pins are underused, and are an inexpensive way to finish an outfit. I don't see many women wearing them tho, but do get lots of compliments when I wear mine.

Judith, the tablescape on the other post with the pink, white and gold animals in the center is to die for. I love the look and think it is very, very sophisticated. A great ladies tea or luncheon setting.

BTW, gave up on the copper beaded placemats. I put them away and will deal with them again in the Fall. I can use my "Autumn" china pattern with them, using the gold napkins. It was driving me crazy, and difficult to find pieces at this time of year for that color scheme.

I am focusing on the Spring season. A few purchases over the weekend motivated me to clean all of the Christmas china and crystal out of my china closet, so it is now ready for "Spring" decorating. I found a nice spring berry garland and purchased two, one for down the center of my dining room table, one for over the mirror in l/r. Also, TJ's had a matching berry wreath. I can use my mulberry candles and have the garland weaved in and out between the candle sticks and my crystal compote in the center of the table. I added two crystal candle sticks as well to tie in the crystal compote. Now in search of something to put in the compote bowl. I tried my fruit and didn't like the look of it at all. Any ideas??? Here's a pic of what the garland looks like.

{{gwi:1461435}}

I hate the way the pictures look with the flash. I swear the table looks better with the natural light.

The silver chargers are sold at so many places. I have silver for my wedding china as the rim is silver. Mine aren't shiny, but I don't think I would call them brushed nickel, but rather a matte rather than shiny finish. They kind of look like a silver plate that someone took a piece of steel wool to??? Does that make any sense? Try Home Goods, Macy's Cellar, BB&Beyond.

Any event, thanks for all the inspiration and I too am looking forward to Judith's tutorial.

Sponsored
More Discussions