SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fsofficer_gw

Looking for the right street tree

fsofficer
12 years ago

Hi, all. I've been reading this forum for a long time but this is my first time posting.

I'm looking for a "street tree" to go between the sidewalk and street in front of my house (~8 ft strip). Location is SE Nebraska, zone 5. Also:

- Soil is very heavy clay.

- Winds are very strong in spring and fall. (It's windy Nebraska, and my house is on top of the highest hill in town.)

The local garden center recommended a Redmond Linden as something that would tolerate the clay soil, grow moderately fast, and probably cause any root damage to the sidewalk. However, I'm not really sure I want a large/wide/dense shade tree that will totally dominate and block the view of the house. If I do, I'd want something relatively columnar and with beautiful fall colors.

The more I think about it, I'm starting to go in the direction of some sort of ornamental tree that doesn't grow too large (maybe 30-35' at most) but sets the house apart from the rest with some striking spring flowers, and is relatively open at the bottom and casts a light shade so as to not over-shade the grass in the front yard.

Looking around on the 'net, things like the "Purple Robe" Black Locust look interesting, but would appreciate lots of other ideas and input.

Thanks

Comments (12)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!