SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mrobbins_gw

Our Very First Composter

Mrobbins
14 years ago

I've been wanting to do this for years. Our Brooklyn backyard now sports a Gardener's Supply Deluxe Pyramid Composter, with rodent screen, in the back where nothing grows under the deep shade of an oak tree. We started the pile by dumping soil from a couple of old, de-weeded containers -- filled with earthworms -- into the bottom of the composter and then started adding our veggie scraps. I know the basics of composting but could use a good reference to brush up. We're mixing our greens (vegetable trimmings, eggshells, bread crusts, teabags) with a pretty limited supply of browns (torn up paper from old leaf collection bags, torn up pieces of paper egg cartons and berry containers), so we got a leaf shredder and reduced eight bags of last year's oak leaves into three bags of coarse pieces.

I think the old potting soil at the base of the composter will provide a nice filter as juices from the new compostables succumb to gravity, plus such waterings will encourage the worms to climb up and sample the good stuff.

We'll have a meeting for everyone in the building sometime this week to decide on protocols for using/maintaining the composter. My cousin thinks we need to "inoculate" the pile with some finished compost from the community garden or some compost starter. I'm not convinced that's necessary. Isn't the point of such a system that you throw things in, balancing your greens and browns of course, and then let the whole mess sit and think about it for a few months? We have an aerator tool and a compost thermometer so we can vent the pile if it needs it. I'm taking a laid-back approach, thinking we can just let this composter sit and then scoop out some nice finished compost from the bottom of the pile sometime in the mid-fall, when we're dividing perennials and such.

Any advice, warnings, and encouragement are welcome.

Comments (5)