SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
quinnfyre

Anyone else have a bad winter?

quinnfyre
16 years ago

This was my first winter in this house, and therefore also my AVs first winter in this house. All summer long, they did wonderfully, blooming almost constantly, growing really well, and I had a lovely strep collection also. Winter rolls around, and first of all, I can't keep the streps happy. They're too dry, too wet, wilting, fading. So, no more streps. Then the AVs start looking like crap. Nothing as horrible as the streps, but slow growth, leaves curling downward, a few casualties. Strangely enough, though, the orchids I've been acquiring are doing great, and came through the winter very nicely, in the same location as the AVs. I've found my AV collection really frustrating this winter, and I'm not entirely certain what the problem was. For most of the winter, due to heater issues, it was actually quite warm in this room, they're all still in the south facing window, and in what I think is a nicer location than the house I was in last year. But last year at this time I had healthy happy plants with lots of blooms. They were in an east facing window last year, in a drafty window and a cold room.

Anyway, things are looking up now, and I've got some buds forming. It's just a shame about that strep collection; however, I'm not replacing it. Well, not with streps anyway : )

Comments (12)