SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rleeq

Sour Soil

rleeq
15 years ago

For the last few months I've kept 2 bins with excess soil with the idea of using it to compost old plants. I've kept these covered with a little plywood and then I covered those with a sheet of plastic. It rains nearly every day here and I don't want the nutrients to wash out of the soil. There is ample room for air circulation but I don't turn it as often as I should. I went out today and took of the coverings and the soil had a lite but distinct smell of sewage. Is this because I haven't turned it as I should.

My questions are, should I be concerned about this smell? does it mean that the soil has gone bad/sour? Can I still plant in it? Earlier in the summer I put a number of old plant stalks as well as the seed pods which fall from the tree in the back yard into the mix and when I opened them today I found that these had not decomposed as I thought they would. On the other hand I did find a couple of small frogs living in the bins. I don't know if this means anything except the frogs like the environment.

Thanks in advance for any guidance you can give me.

R'

Comments (5)