SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
reeldoc

Sour Soil

reeldoc
16 years ago

I've been searching the internet for about an hour trying to figure our why my soil has appeared to sour. I had a soil test done last November on a 50x50 garden with this being the 7th planting year. I took five tests; 1 each at a 10'diagonal from each corner, and one in the center. The test came back with an average of 6.5 throughout the garden. I did a major cross tilling when I added a large amount of leaf much and grass clippings after receiving the results. I assumed that would mix the upper and lower ends of the ph to meet the average across the garden.

Friday I started major tilling for planting. The soil is very damp as I have trees on two sides of the garden. I tilled in layers essentially turning it over in the sun and wind to dry it. To be frank, the soil stinks and smells really soured. I have my doubts that vegetables are even going to grow in it but I am proceeding with planting anyway since I have no other choice.

Does anyone have any idea how a fairly neutral ph soil can sour, even if it is damp? I've worked my rear end off for the past years trying to get humus into this clay and thought that this might be the year that it all comes together.

Comments (4)