SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
claire25_gw

Excited Newbie Alert! (Getting Started with Leaves Soon)

claire25
11 years ago

Hi everyone,

First, I just want to say "thanks" to all of you a.v. experts on here. I am a long time lurker who has recently taken the plunge into (attempting) to start some new african violets from leaves. The wealth of information about leaf propagation on this forum that I've read about on old message threads has been so helpful.

I do have one concern that I haven't seen addressed on the threads I've read: my leaves will be arriving in the mail, and I assume several days will have elapsed since they were cut off the mother plant. Does anyone advise placing the leaves in water to rehydrate them before placing them in their rooting medium? If so, for how long? Or are leaves received in the mail from reputable nurseries in generally good shape and ready to be planted?

Thanks for any advice!

Claire

PS Aside from one NOID Optimara that has been growing like a weed for me for several years, and several Russian hybrids that I bought via mail-order this past fall, I have had very little experience with African violets. But now I think I have been "bitten by the bug"! I have a lot of experience with orchids and I am absolutely giddy at the prospect of growing a blooming houseplant that, unlike orchids, grows fast, blooms often, and (best of all) doesn't have to be carted to the sink or bathtub every time it needs to be watered! :D

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting