SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alouwomack

NEWBIE Alert!

alouwomack
14 years ago

Hello All,

I've enjoyed reading & asking about gardening via gardenweb for many years . . .

. . . Now I'm invading the quilters' world! I'm a novice on the sewing machine by quilting standards (at least in my opinion). I did grew up with a wonderful great granny who spent much of her time quilting. I "played" on the old Singer for hours, digging through scraps, searching for patterns, and managing to make some things (pillows, etc.) that still exist in her home today -- 20 plus years later! Those were good memories . . . and so the basics of sewing a square for instance are slowly coming back to me now.

With that all being said (please bare with me), I just took it upon myself and decided I wanted to make my soon-to-be neice a quilt--not just any quilt--a quilt pattern I found online/book. It is beautiful and I've almost completed the front of the quilt. I made some adjustments along the way but I am happy with how it is turning out. >

I need help on how to come up with a pattern for hand stitching the quilt together. Are there unspoken guidelines for how little or more I decide to do? I don't have a pattern to follow because the book only shows the quilt finished by machine. I'm feeling a little lost. I know the pic will probably help but any basic guidelines are welcome in the time being! I want to be able to draw/trace the design onto the quilt too.

Thank you -- Amber

Comments (22)