SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nickelbach

Ventilation

nickelbach
16 years ago

I have 2 minis on a small kitchen counter near a low-wattage frosted glass lamp (it puts out a bright indirect light). To help with humidity, prevent a lot of temp changes & deter our cat from disturbing / munching on the AVs, I placed large glass domes over the minis. No leaves are touching the glass & there is plenty of room for the plants to continue to grow. I wipe out any condensation as soon as I notice it.

I noticed that the pollen sacs on my purple AVs have fluffy white stuff on them (it isn't easily moved--I tried to remove with a q-tip). I thoroughly inspected the plant and this material is nowhere else on leaves, stems, buds--just the pollen sacs of flowers that have been open around 2 days.

My other mini has white puffy flowers & when I pinch off a deteriorating flower the whole stem begins to die--even if there are other buds on it. I noticed one of the stems was starting to grow mold, so I removed all of the dying stems this afternoon.

I'm assuming I need more ventilation. Today I propped up the domes an inch all the way around to encourage air flow. Will this be enough to encourage proper ventilation / prevent mold? Is the stuff on my purple AV pollen sacs actually mold, or something else? Any other tips and tricks?

Comments (8)