SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
helpmehelpthishouse

attic kneewall - how to insulate and ventilate

Hello!

We have a finished attic with enclosed sections of kneewall space. I’ve been curious what’s behind the kneewall because we want to maintain better temp control in that area and even in a bedroom that’s underneath one of the kneewall sections which gets colder than other bedrooms.

I put a boroscope through a small hole to see what’s going on. Hard to see, but there is absolutely no insulation behind the kneewall or on the flooring (just bare exposed wood plank subfloor I guess). The ceiling/roof seems to have insulation that is covered with pieces of drywall(?) or whatever is holding in the insulation under the roof.

Some questionable spots that could be mold or just dirt build up (had a company do some testing). If anything scary comes back we will remediate, but either way we seem to have at the very least an insulation issue and possibly/related a moisture issue to address.

We have soffit vents all over the house including in the eaves outside of these kneewall spaces. We also seem to have a ridge vent, but whether or not it’s accessible to this small section is unknown. There are also gable vents on both sides of the house but they are not positioned near this kneewall space;they are closer to the peak which may be blocked off from these side spaces.

So…how do I figure this out? Would a roofer be the best resource to help? How do I know what the airflow situation is? And what’s the best way to insulate an unused space behind kneewall?

Pics of the general attic space to see the shape and for a visual. Also a pick from the boroscope. Definitely dust and some spots that could be mold. Likely is! In which case we will open it up and properly remediate but we still need to solve this u underlying issue….appreciate any thoughts!!

Comments (4)