SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sonorous

Hood Ventilation connected to Existing Downdraft Pipes

sonorous
11 years ago

We had an existing downdraft in our old kitchen. With our kitchen remodeling, we wanted a hood that goes up and out of the house. We heard this was more efficient than the downdraft.

However, our installers decided to install the hood above out cooktop, but then put the pipes downward to connect to the existing downdraft pipes. So although we would have a hood above the cooktop that would take the smoke, strong aromas (asian cooking is very aromatic), etc up, it would then go back down through the pipes and out of the house.

I have never heard of this before, and it doesn't come up in an of my searches. But the installers say that it is properly installed and will work correctly.

I know with traditional downdrafts, people say the suction interferes with the fire. But with the air being pulled up above, we won't have this problem.
BUT I am wondering if this pulling up and back down and then out of the house would still be effective for pulling out odors, grease, etc? The hood we have purchased has 490 CFM.

I have seen websites that say you want the least amount of 90 degree bends and the shortest route out of the house. So this going up and then back down adds another 90 degree bend and more distance for traveling. Or can a 490 CFM hood handle all this?

The pipes are already installed for this set up, but the hood is not yet installed.

Does anyone have any insights, expertise?

Comments (15)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH