SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
homechef59

Need Advice Choosing Induction Cooktop and Downdraft Ventilation

10 months ago

I'm planning a kitchen refresh. Painting the cabinets, new countertops, backsplash, lighting and some appliances. Currently, the kitchen has a center island with a 36" Dacor gas cooktop and matching downdraft ventilation unit with a remote blower.

Ventilation is driving the decision. I cannot change the ventilation design because the exhaust cannot be accessed in the attic due to a bathroom toilet drain being directly above the potential exhaust vent. Thus, UPDRAFT IS NOT AN OPTION. I know this is not optimal, but it's what I've got.

Therefore, I must replace the current 22 year-old Dacor downdraft with another one. The good news is the external blower is lightly used and appears to be in good condition. I'll buy something to replace the Dacor.

I love gas for cooking. One of the saddest days of my life was when I sold a house with my 36" BlueStar rangetop. Anyhow, in this kitchen's current configuration induction seems to be the best choice. It's mostly a safety decision. I'm afraid of grease accumulation in the ventilation pipe and the ridiculous decision to put a gas cooktop in a kitchen island. It's a fire hazard. When I use the current cooktop the flame gets sucked into the ventilation. That scares me a lot. Thus, I'm going to go with induction.

Yale Appliance is recommending the GE Profile induction cooktop. They said that with all of their service calls, they have yet to service one in the last year. Bosch is a close second with just a few calls.

I'm looking for recommendations for an induction cooktop. I demand a lot from my cooking appliances. I'm a professional chef in a past life. I've cooked on induction before, but I've never had one in my own home. Any recommendations for 36" induction cooktops would be greatly appreciated.

Comments (16)