SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
woodyoak

A jungle of clematises!

I thought some of you might enjoy these pictures I took this afternoon of a few of the members of the jungle of clematises that are engulfing parts of the garden! Many of them are starting to fade now and wilt has been a bigger issue than usual with a few of them but they are plants we'd hate to be without! (I'm not posting this in the clematis forum because I'm always a bit embarrassed about our haphazard approach to growing them vs. the 'proper' approach they believe in....!)

This is mostly Galore - aptly named! It is smothering a Rose of Sharon in the south alley and, once it finishes blooming, I'll have to rip it off to give the Rose of Sharon a chance to flower!
{{gwi:253066}}

I love the color of Black Prince on the inside of the south alley gate:{{gwi:253067}}

On the outside of the gate, it mingles with a Jackmani Superba:
{{gwi:253068}}

On the north alley fence Jackmani Suberba mingles with Huldine, and a Betty Corning has crept in to join them. I'm a bit worried that, at some point, they could bring down the fence :-) But we - and the neighbour beside us - whose family room windows you see in the picture - like the effect too much to get too brutal with controlling them!
{{gwi:253069}}

In comparison the the rampant growth of the others, Piilu in the White Moth hydrangea near the end of the driveway border is a delicate little thing - although there are lots of buds ready to open. In June it blooms with double flowers and then blooms again now with singles. It makes a nice combination I think:
{{gwi:253070}}

Where do you use clematises in the garden?

Comments (28)