SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jgpyke

Tulip Tree Snapped in Half - Why?

jgpyke
15 years ago

I've planted two tulip trees in the exact same spot, and both have ended up snapped in half. What is causing this??? It is so bizarre.

I planted one on the south side of my house, which is protected from north winds. It is surrounded by azaleas, very close to the trunk. The sapling was probably five tall, something I dug and moved. I have had good luck with doing this before, and all other such trees have thrived. Then, late last fall, I went to check on it, and it was snapped in half, more than halfway up (maybe 3-4' up).

So I planted another one in its spot. Went out there today, same thing!

It's not a neighbor, b/c the neighbors are gone for 8 mos. on assignment. So they've been gone for both snappings. It's not deer, b/c it's near a driveway and other factors (e.g., viewable from the street, etc.). I don't think it's wind. We've had some windy times, but why only these trees in these spots? Why doesn't anything else ever snap?

The mystery is killing me. I tried to prop up the main leader, wrap it, and splint it, just to see if it will live. Or is this a lost cause? If it lives, will it regain its strength? I hate to keep losing these darn trees! The one from last year was nicely established: I was counting on it shading my house in a couple years! I am dreading going into year three next spring, starting all over once again. This time, I'll wrap the bugger and stake the heck out of it. I just don't get it!

Thanks for listening. Any Sherlock Holmeses know what my problem is?

;-)

Garvey

Comments (4)