SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
arktrees

Asking for help in tree selection for family members.

12 years ago

Condensed story, is immediate family members lost all their large trees due to a storm recently. It is my intent to provide relatively fast growing, but relatively sturdy replacements. USDA hardiness Zone 7a, in Arkansas. Rainfall is 40+/yr, however the summer months of June-August can be rather dry and hot some years, with 100+ occurring most every year for at least a few days. Soil is well drained. Trees I have been looking at so far are, Northern Red Oak, Scarlet Oak, Nuttall Oak, Willow Oak, Shumard Oak, Tulip Tree, Shantung Maple, Trident Maple, maybe a Red Maple cultivar or two, Bald Cypress, Dawn Redwood, Allee Elm or other Elms, Black Walnut, and Loblolly Pine. What am I missing? Much will depend upon what I can acquire easily, and since it's going to be a number of trees, I need to be able to get them at a decent price as well. Also for you Oak people, is there an correlation as to how well new leaves retain color in spring, with color in Autumn?

BTW, some of the trees lost was 2' diameter water oak, 1' diameter Red Oak, 1' dia Sycamore, 1.5' dia Elm, a large elm with a double 3' dia trunks, and 1' dia short-leaf pine. Plus there are other smaller trees lost. In the area many large large old trees were lost. Basically a blank slate now, and will use both large, and more moderate maximum sized trees. They are basically shadeless now as soon as the clean-up is finished.

Thanks in advance,

Arktrees

Comments (11)