SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cheapo1978

Deere L120 battery slowly draining

cheapo1978
13 years ago

I purchased my L120 in 2003 with a Briggs 20 hp Intek Twin OHV Â Model 406777; Type 0128 E1; Code 030407YG.

About 3 years ago the battery went bad and stopped holding a charge... so I thought. I replaced the battery but for the next few months the problem still continued; the battery slowly lost its charge. I went to the local JD dealer and they said it was most likely the regulator, so I replaced it (I didnÂt bring it in, just told them what was happening). For the past 3 years the problem has continued, so I started to disconnect the battery after every mow. Then, that battery stopped holding a charge and needed to be replaced (I got it tested and it had a bad cell, I assume it is from the constant draining and charging). So, I am now on my third battery. I purchased a simple voltage meter and noticed that even when the mower is off, the new battery slowly drains. I have been logging the voltage every day for the last week and it loses about 0.01 Â 0.03 volts every 24 hours. I did not start the tractor at all during that period. I have been disconnecting different connections (solenoid, PTO, starter, lights) one at a time every 2 days looking for a short. IÂm not sure this is the best method but I have no idea how else to diagnose/fix the problem.

Any ideas of what it could be or what else I can do?

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Fine Designs & Interiors, Ltd.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Columbus Leading Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2014-2022