SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
laurelzito

Easy Compost Tea or a pig in a poke?

Laurel Zito
11 years ago

I noticed that if I buy a bag of Dr. Earth potting soil, (the acid loving one) it says if you mix a gallon of Dr. Earth with 5 gallons of water and molasses, it makes compost tea in 24 hours with having to buy an aerator. So, I was thinking why waste a gallon of soil, when I could use one gallon of water to a smaller amount of Dr. Earth. It claims to have soil indoctrinates. But, I don't know if they are the right ones. I want the one for Spruce trees. If they are still alive in the bag after all of that time, there is no way to tell. But, it seems like an easy way to make compost tea without so much fussy and bother, if it is true.

Dr. Earth does not appear to have a website, that I can find, so I don't have the information from the bag handy at home. I would have gotten the bag, but it was expensive. I am sure it's good stuff. It has some cotton seed meal. Cotton seed meals cost 34 dollars a bag. I saw some Buffalo compost 8 pounds at whole foods with no price on it. I wanted that also. I can't buy every little thing I see. I have some coffee beans that have gone stale. Can I grind them up and mix them with finished compost to make my plants more acid? It's cheaper then cotton seed meal to use coffee beans instead.

Here is a link that might be useful: link for buffalo compost because I can't find the link to Dr Earth

Comments (26)