SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
louisianagal

tried new containers - for me

louisianagal
14 years ago

Well I finally got around to winter sowing for this season. My potting soil was frozen but had a bag in the garage. My duct tape doesn't seem to be sticking so well, and my milk jugs and similar containers are either brittle or hard to hold the top part open. So I had some clear plastic containers like the lids of store-bought roasted chicken, a plastic ice cream container, and a plastic candy container that previously held those chewy candy orange slices. I also had saved many clear bags like birdseed came in or toilet paper. I really liked sowing in these clear containers. I did punch drainage holes (easy with an awl), and holes in top and bottom of plastic bags. I inserted the containers in the bags and closed with a twist tie. Walmart bags are "clear" enough to work too. I was also successful with a blue paint pen from Walmart craft dept that is working well. Anyway, I sowed 5 yesterday and 9 today. Another thing I tried, just for fun, and because we rarely have snow on the ground in Mississippi, is that I sowed the seeds on dry potting soil, patted them in, and then covered with scoops of snow. Bundled up and sitting in the sun and working out of a wheelbarrow, it was not too cold.

I sure enjoyed myself.

Laurie

Comments (5)

Sponsored