SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jfw432

Riding mower traction problems

jfw432
13 years ago

I live on fairly hilly terrain and I'm having some unusual issues with maintaining traction. I used to have an older Troy Bilt mower and it had 8" wide curved side tires. Despite the width, they were actually pretty good.

I recently bought an Ariens mower because the Troy Bilt threw a rod and I decided it was time for something new. I still have the Troy Bilt mower but don't recognize the tire brand and the fancy letters are hard to read. Anyway, the Ariens has 10" wide flat side tires so they are much wider but produce so little traction that they actually do more damage to my lawn because they spin so often. I checked to make sure the pressure was correct and even went further to deflate them further for that extra bit but it's still not good. The current tires are Carlisle Turf Saver R/S (or T/S can't remember).

I don't have any problems with the mower flipping over on itself when going uphill normally. However, if I lose traction, the mower will occasionally slide backwards a foot or so and then regain traction which will cause the front of the mower to lift off the ground slightly...and make me poo my pants.

Mowing downhill on the steepest parts is actually more dangerous because the transmatic transmission allows the wheels to free spin if you go too fast and when I apply the brakes, the tires just lock and I go skidding down the hill out of control.

I assume some better tires would solve the problem but I don't know what to get. Carlisle's website has plenty of tires but no descriptions other than Turf Saver I, Turf Saver II, Turf Master, Turf Trac, etc. and I have no idea what the differences are.

Comments (11)

Sponsored