SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_21934719

Identifying Cultivars of M. grandiflora: size does matter!

User
15 years ago

My collection of Magnolia grandiflora includes the following cultivars: Majestic Beauty, Greenback, Little Gem, Edith Bogue, Victoria and Bracken's Brown.) Last year, I purchased a tree labeled as "Victoria" from a nursery. The leaves are somewhat smaller than the species and there is only a bit of brown pubescence on the undersides of the leaves. Well, this year, I purchased another plant labeled as "Victoria" (or Grand Victoria) from the same nursery. Only this plant is really somewhat different in appearance. It has much more cinnamon pubescence, is more tight and compact growing, its deep green leaves are somewhat rounded in appearance, reddish leaf buds, leaf size also somewhat smaller than the species. So which sounds like a Victoria, and what might the other plant be. Reason it matters is that Victoria is supposed to be somewhat more dwarf (I know size is relative when it comes to grandiflora), but I am afraid one of these guys is a giant in disguise. The one I purchased in 2007 was planted in the front lawn, and I didn't want a really large culitivar there. Can cultivars of grandiflora really look so different from each other?? Thanks in advance for you help. Happy gardening! Is there perhaps a really good web site for

distinguishing the various cultivars? Thanks in advance.

Comments (6)