SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dianna912_gw

Weeping Cherry Help!!

dianna912
10 years ago

Disclosure: I know very little about gardening, and especially pruning.

When we bought our house two years ago, this weeping cherry looked awful to me. It had the dreaded bowl cut, and was very unattractive. I had a weeping cherry at my previous house, and it was gorgeous, and completely low maintenance. We never pruned it. It just grew into a beautiful fully weeping shape all on its own, and we actually let it sweep the ground, because I loved the look. I hoped that if we gave this one long enough it would achieve the same thing, but as you can tell, it isn't happening.

I can't decide if the previous owners just cut it in all the wrong places because the majority of the branches grow straight up before weeping. I've done a lot of reading up on this, most of which I can't make sense of, but I do know that this is a grafted tree, but based on my observations, I do not think the straight branches are coming from below the graft. They have the same color blooms, and they seem to all be above the graft. Most of the straight branches are coming off of a weeping, horizontal branch, if that makes sense, so I think it was just bad pruning.

Is there anything that can be done to create more of the full weeping effect, or is this poor cherry destined to be scrapped? I keep hoping the straight ones will become heavy enough and just lay over, but right now it just looks wild.

Thanks for any advice you all can give, especially in "pruning for dummies" terms! :)

Comments (4)