SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
anenemity

RRD? I'll be heartbroken!

The first picture is from what I think is a hybrid tea rose (planted no later than 1943). It is a repeat bloomer and has bloomed into December in milder winters. This new growth made me stop and wonder. It doesn't look normal, but it doesn't quite look like rose rosette disease. The growth is red and much smaller than the mature leaves, and there don't seem to be any buds on the ends. I've been checking on it daily (I noticed it about a week ago) and it isn't turning green. However, there's no excessive thorniness. You can see in the background that the plant as a whole looks pretty pathetic - only one or two canes have any leaves at all, and even then they're pretty sparse.

The second set of pictures is from a Mme Hardy right next to the hybrid tea. The new growth is lime green with red along the perimeter, also much smaller than the existing (black spot ridden) leaves. This is already such a thorny rose that it's hard to tell if it's got more than it's supposed to. There is a good deal of featheriness on the ends, but no buds and not very much red. Most of the new growth is on existing canes, but there is at least one new cane. I know Mme Hardy blooms on old wood, but should it be sending up new growth right now? This rose also had a poor performance this spring and is now suffering from black spot. None of this would have alarmed me if it were not for its close proximity to the hybrid tea (a couple of canes actually touch the HT).

I know RRD can look different depending on the rose, so I included both. I did use Round-Up on my sidewalks, but it was some distance away from the roses and behind a raised bed. The redness has been appearing a little at a time on different parts of the plant, not all at once. These are the only two plants exhibiting strange symptoms, and there are lots of other plants that were much closer to the spray. We have had a very hot spring after a very cold winter, so it's possible it's just weather-related stress.

I'm sorry this is so long, I just wanted to include as much information as I could to head off any questions and to help a diagnosis! Thanks!

This post was edited by anenemity on Mon, Jun 30, 14 at 11:26

Comments (9)