SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bertd_gw

Kaw 12 hp won't start after replace crank cvr gasket

bertd
14 years ago

I have a Toro walkbehind I've had for years and never had any trouble starting it. The mower is model #30165, serial #390821. The engine is a Kaw FB460V. Engine # is FB460VA22622. Engine Code is FB460V-FS08.

Two years ago this fall it blew a crankcase cover gasket and started leaking oil. I have gotten by since with another small mower, but now need this mower for fall (oak leaves galore).

After sitting 2 years, I drained the gas (which had stabil in it) and it started on the second pull. It has a recoil starter. I filled it with oil and ran it a few minutes just to see if it was in fact the crank cover gasket and not the head gasket. To my dismay, it was the crank cover gasket. Mower ran great while I was checking for the oil leak.

I turned it off and began the process of changing the crank cover gasket. Everything seemed to go smoothly. I replaced the crank cover gasket and the crank seal in the cover. The Governor gear seemed to mesh fine as I put the cover back on and I torqued the 8 bolts to spec in the appropriate sequence.

After reinstalling the engine, hooking up all the wires, belts etc., it would not start. It has a great spark even with a spark tester. Occasionally it will backfire, but never really tries to start. I took the carb apart and cleaned it thoroughly (carb cleaner, air hose, one bristle of a wire brush). All looked good except the pilot jet had some grime in it. Still won't start. I have an old compression guage about 30 years old that I hooked to the cylinder and it showed low compression. I don't know if it's the guage or my tired old butt not pulling the cord enough. However, the guage did work OK on a neighbor's electric start mower. I removed the exhaust and intake manifold and verified the valves are moving. I haven't the heart to start tearing valves/head things like that apart because remember, the mower ran fine before I changed the crank cover gasket. The gasket fit the cover, I torqued it to spec, what in the world could be wrong? I'm at my wit's end. Please, any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville