SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lawfires

John Deere 245 Won't Start (Kawasaki 14hp)

lawfires
17 years ago

I have a ~15 year old John Deere 245 with a Kawasaki single cylinder engine. It always runs great--starts good, runs perfect cold or hot. Yesterday, I started it, and it started normally, ran for about 2 minutes, and then died for no reason. It wouldn't restart for about 5 minutes. Got it running, it ran for 30 seconds, and died again. Repeated the cycle 3 times; it wouldn't run at anything over idle, and even then just barely. It has good spark, although the spark plug smelled like gas and was black when I pulled it out.

I pulled it in the garage, and then it started right up. I ran some carb cleaner through it, and it ran fine. I started it this morning, and it seemed fine. I went to run it this afternoon, and it wouldn't start or run again. Same symptoms.

Nothing has changed since the last time it ran (3 days ago); it hasn't been fueled, etc. When it won't start, it cranks and cranks and cranks, and then starts backfiring. It will backfire through the muffler, and through the carb. It has never backfired before this episode. Any ideas? Suggestions? Things to try?

Comments (25)

Sponsored