SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
peter_schweitz

John Deere 245GT

peter_schweitz
16 years ago

I bought a used John Deere 245GT garden tractor with a 60" mowing deck from my local JD dealer who had taken it in on trade. It has a 20HP Kawasaki V-twin OHC air-cooled engine.

Since I bought it two years ago it has been back to the shop twice for the same problem. It loses power and gets gasoline in the crankcase.

Each time I have taken it in to the shop they have changed the oil, swapped out the fuel filter and cleaned the carb & gas tank. They tell me that there has been dirt in the fuel system that caused the float valve in the carburetor to stick and that cleaning it the fuel system should take care of the problem. I've been scrupulous about not getting dirt into the tank during re-fueling since the first time this occurred. Seems to me that the fuel filter should prevent this type of problem.

Today the engine started just fine but did not develop full power after warming up. It seemed that the crankcase was a little over full and that the oil might have been thin so I did an oil change. That did not solve the lack of power issue.

I want to learn how to fix this on my own rather than trailering the unit back to the dealer every six to nine months.

I notice these things:

The fuel filter vessel only fills about 20% full - the rest of the space is filled with air. Only a small area of the filter element is in contact with the fuel passing through. There is some visible dirt collected in the element. Should the fuel line be purged of air? If so, how?

When facing the carburetor from the front of the machine there are two adjustment links that are below and to the right of the carb. One is the choke linkage and the other seems to be a speed governor of some kind. I can overide that linkage and boost the engine speed to the point where it seems it might have more power. When I release this linkage the engine speed drops.

Is what I am experiencing charateristic of this Kawasaki engine? Is there a design flaw that allows gasoline to get into the crankcase and dilute the oil?

Your help appreciated -

Peter Schweitz

Comments (12)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH