SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kev_in_aus

18 HP Briggs & Stratton won't start - 'Is it Ignition?' - Help!

kev-in-aus
16 years ago

Hi, I have a (heap of junk - ha) B&S 18hp Twin I/C

M/No: 422707 Type:1263 01 Code: 9312065A on a Murray Lawn Tractor (Ride-on).

It doesn't appear to have any form of fuel pump unless it is part of the carb. (I believe it is gravity fed).

First a little history, for some time I had been having to leave the choke on just a little to make the thing run smoothly. The last time I used the machine I fiddled a little with the various adjusting screws on the carb. with no improvement, so I set them back to where they were.

I figured I could live with the choke being out a little.

My problem is that the last time I used the machine it died on me after about 1-2 hours mowing and simply would not start again. I figured it had simply overheated so I pushed it into the garage.

Now (a week later) it doesn't want to start, or if it finally does (after lots & lots of starter motor winding), it is only for a brief period and it will run like a pig and backfires and soon dies.

It smells strongly of fuel during starter motor winding.

When I pull the plugs out after this, they are wet with fuel.

This makes me think there is a spark problem or a timing problem.

I have tried the following,

I have replaced the plugs, I know all 3 of the kill switches are working (I checked them with a multi-meter), I made sure the earth wire to the ig. coil wasn't shorting and was working properly with ig. key switch, I pulled the coil off and checked the winding with ohms on multi-meter (this was ok), The coil is approx. one millimeter away from flywheel which I think is fine, I have checked for spark from both leads (with spark test pen) and this seems to be working, I have removed the plugs and grounded them then wound it over and they both have spark (maybe a little weak ?? not sure), I asked a mower shop guy if this thing runs points and as I suspected it is electronic timing (so I don't believe it has anything I can adjust), I even pulled the flywheel off to check there was not a sheared key or something there that may explain the timing being out, I tried starting it without the air filter (just in case some blockage - no help but desperate), I have sprayed some engine start spray directly into each of the cyclinders through spark plug holes and after some winding it started for a short time and then I got a "Really Cool" backfire and it soon stopped running.

I am suspecting the coil is maybe faulty but do not know how else to test it (other than how I have already) or whether the spark it is putting out is as strong as it should be.

I don't want to buy a new one and fit it to find that it is not the problem.

I don't believe it is a fuel problem due to the fact the plugs are wet.

Am I wrong in my deduction of it being Spark/Timing and what else can I do???

They back fire is caused by unburnt fuel isn't it?

Please help me Fellow Lawn Tractor Gurus, before I just set fire to it and roll it down a hill or beat it with a stick. I know this won't fix it but boy would it make me feel gooooooood!!!

(I have read through many of the other peoples problems on your forum and I felt they were all a little different - Please help!)

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

P.S. By the way, I noticed a few people in your forum having a problem with the charging of the battery. I too have suffered this problem in the past.

I thought I would mention that when I pulled the flywheel off, that the amount of dirt/dust build up inside of the flywheel and around the stator was amazing. It was packed in solid and coating the magnet faces and stator faces. I hosed all of this away, cleaned the stator faces, blew it all dry and sprayed it all with CRC/RP7 before putting it back together. I wonder if this may be a major part of the problem. I hope it helps.

Comments (23)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths