SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
anntn6b

Dreaming of the must have Souv de la Malmaison

anntn6b
16 years ago

I am wandering about in old magazines and books and the 1850s have been my interest this past week. And I have found the Souvenir de la Malmaison that I want. Had I a time machine, it would be a must have destination.

And since itÂs impossible, it begs to be shared.

From the Southern Cultivator 1856 (as found by the American Periodical Service), Mr. Robert Nelson of Macon Georgia wrote about Roses for the South. His comments on SdlM make me want to search Macon GA.

"Souvenir de la Malmaison This pale flesh colored rose, though not very fragrant, stands perhaps at the head of all roses. It is, indeed, a worthy representative of the splendid garden of "Malmaison," the celebrated garden of the Empress Josephine. The flowers are very large, often from 5 to 6 inches in diameter, and produced in clusters; growth low, say about 2 feet, but very stout and bushy."

Which leads to the question, could it survive on its own roots?

Mr. NelsonÂs last paragraph instructs, "All roses for the South should be strong, bushy plants on their own roots, though there are a few varieties which never succeed well unless they are grafted on the roots of some other strong growing kind, and this operation may be done by a practiced hand, in such a way that it will never be noticed."

In his list he notes the roses that must be grafted and SdlM is not one of them.

So we know that there were wonderful plants of SdlM in Macon Georgia, growing on their own roots in the 1850s. Charles Walker may not have found it in his OGR collecting in Macon and Rose Peddler was just beginning their quest. But SdlM is a reason never to stop looking and hoping.

Comments (22)