SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
azpedsrn

Possibly cultural problems

azpedsrn
12 years ago

Our local African Violet club should be having its annual show early in February, so I'll probably be bringing home some beautiful new plants. The question I have is this: Every year, I go and buy a box full of violets that are healthy and blooming, bring them home, and the majority of them begin changing for the worse the minute I get them home. They will eventually have thick, stiff, small, tight leaves - even the blooms will become tough. Eventually I'll throw them out. I still have one left from last year's show, and the center leaves are SO tiny, but it actually still has a few very nice flowers on it, and the older leaves are stiffer and the edges curled under a little. I used to panic and think it was mites or some other horrid invasion, but now I realize it's something I must be doing. I have a collection of 50 that are very nice, don't have any problems, and grow and bloom beautifully, many of which I've acquired at this annual show, but I actually have much better success with the violets I bring home from Home Depot and Lowes, but I want to get some of the more unusual ones. Any thoughts on what I'm doing wrong that causes me to lose so many of my new ones?

Comments (6)