SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jzk100

What's Wrong with my African Violet?

JZK100
11 years ago

I've had this "Original" African violet since May, 2012. It was doing fine throughout the summer, though it didn't bloom. I brought it to my dorm in September and placed it in the window (facing East). Its health has been declining ever since.

I first noticed that the leaves were branching out and sticking up, rather than staying bushy, like African Violets should look. At first, I thought it was because it wasn't getting the nutrients it needed, so I bought some African Violet plant food and started feeding it the instructed amount in each watering.

When that didn't change anything, I googled it, and found that perhaps it wasn't getting enough sunlight. I tried moving it closer to the window, but when the leaves began to turn brown, I figured it must be getting too MUCH sunlight and moved it closer to my desk, in the shade.

It didn't get any worse, but it stayed persistently lanky, and just generally unhealthy-looking. A couple of the leaves fell off, as well, and the newly-broken stem tips turned black.

So, over my winter break, I brought it home with me and placed it near our South-facing window in hopes that perhaps some constant (though indirect) sunlight may help it.

It, in fact, made it worse. Now, the leaves are starting to turn white, starting from the edges and going in towards the stem.

I currently have it sitting further away from the window, and am watering it (with plant food) whenever it seems to get dry. It's not getting any better.

I have no idea what's going on, nor how to fix it. I don't know how it happened, but I'm getting increasingly attached to this plant (affectionately named "Dormie"). Is there anything I can do to save it?

Any help is appreciated, thank you!

{{!gwi}}

Comments (13)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH