SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
korina_gw

Some random Av stuff

18 years ago

Harsters Greenhouses, home of Anthoflores AVs, has their web site up! Or am I the last to know?

Regarding Optimara's Little Jewel series and whether they're actually microminis or not, I was poking around Ms. Bartholomew's 'Growing to Show', and ran across a section titled "Miniaturizing the Miniatures": 'Holtkamp introduced...Little Rose Quartz and Little Sapphire...at the 1986 AVSA convention... After I got them home, I began to suspect that these Optimara miniatures were further miniaturized through root restriction. To test my theory, I repotted Little Rose Quartz into a 2 1/2" pot...And, just as I suspected...(it)...grew considerably larger with a distinct increase in leaf size.'

Sorry for all the ... The rest of the experiment involved planting other miniatures in the thumb pots the Optimaras came in; they miniaturized even further, delighting her tremendously. :-) I believe this means that Holtkamp 'designed' these varieties specifically to grow in the thumb pots. Interestingly, when I put Rob's Twinkle Pink in a 2 oz. portion cup, it grew somewhat larger than previously; think I'll move it back to a smaller pot. Rob's Voodoo Blue wasn't at all happy in a larger pot so I moved it down yesterday.

The whole section is fascinating (well, for those of us into minis); if you don't have the book, join the AVSA and buy it, it's a good price. You know you want to join anyway.

The Dandy Pots web site seems to be missing. I just purchased two for my standards and rather like them.

For some reason, FC 2 only lists three of David Senk's varieties out of the 23 I know about (and I think there's more). Weird.

Korina

Here is a link that might be useful: Harsters

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Fourteen Thirty Renovation, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Professional Remodelers in Franklin County Specializing Kitchen & Bath