SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chisey_gw

Need an idea for a second, closed compost bin

chisey
12 years ago

Hello all. This is my first post on this forum but I have done some research into composting before and understand the basics.

I have a ~30 gallon trash can with holes drilled all over and a snap-on lid that has served as a compost bin the last ~2 months at my new house. When it was only half full, "turning" it was no problem-- I could just set it on its side and roll it around. In the process of turning it a few weeks ago I was shocked how well the stuff inside was doing. But I digress . . .

So now that I've realized how well this is going to go (and how much more material we have to compost than I expected) I need a second container. The plan is to fill the current one up, which seems to take about 2 months, then dump it into a second container for finishing (then start filling this one again). So I need this second container, but I have restrictions.

** It needs to be a closed bin or can or container of some kind. I have dogs and neighbors that will keep me from being able to use something open or with mesh/wire sides.

** It will preferably be easier to turn/stir than the trash can I'm using. That means shorter and wider, probably. I'd like to be able to work it with a shovel.

** It needs to be about the same size as this can. Bigger is fine as long as it's not huge.

** It needs to be pretty cheap. I don't want to get a $300 tumbler.

Ideas? Thanks in advance for the input.

Comments (4)