SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19755260

A genuine Sevin/JB question

User
16 years ago

Hi - I asked this question earlier on the JB thread, but that descended into a spitting contest, so I thought I'd try again as a separate post.

Last year I bought a small bottle of Sevin, and was contemplating trying it on my JBs. Never used it, however, I was afraid it would be too nasty. Anyway, the JBs are just now making thier appearance in my garden, and again I'm contemplating using the Sevin. But before I do so, I want to be sure there is a real advantage to using it. So my question is this:

Is it true that you have to directly spray the beetle in order to kill it? And if that is the case, what is the advantage of killing them with Sevin as opposed to something relatively harmless like Neem (or dumping in a bucket of soapy water, for that matter)? From my experience w/ JBs, it seems like if you kill one off, in a minute 10 more will show up. So, unless you can be out there all day spraying, there doesn't seem to be much point. Or am I missing something, does Sevin have a systemic effect? And if so, don't the fiends STILL have to actually eat your flowers in order for the systemic to work?

Thanks for any help with this question!

Comments (40)