SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
billfaith1

Planted a garden in clay now worried

billfaith1
13 years ago

My wife and I just built a house over the winter and finally decided to plant some flowers and bushes in the front. The soil is pretty heavy clay. We planted some rose bushes, hydrangeas, lilacs, blue fescue grass and a weeping mulberry tree. We were excited to get everything in. After digging each hole, I would throw away the clumps of clay, trying to keep the little non clumpy soil to add back in. I also added some topsoil to the backfill but mostly it was what I dug up minus the huge clumps. We got all done and were pretty proud but now we keep wondering if planting in this clay was a bad idea. We could of tried some amending or even adding all new soil since the area is not that big but we didnt, we just planted. Now we are scared they might not do well or even die. We spent about $600 on bushes and trees. My wife said, lets dig them all back up, pot them and try to amend the soil now and replant. That would be a big task now so I am wondering what the chances of this garden doing well are? I dont care if its not the best looking garden in town but I dont want anything dying. Do we leave it as is and hope for the best or do we try to redo it? Also with the clay, do we ever have to water after initial planting? It always seems wet, would watering be stupid? Thanks a ton. Bill

Comments (13)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting