SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nicoletta7

Should I design now, or not worry?

Nicoletta
11 years ago

Hey folks,

So I'm going to be obtaining my home next year with 2 acres total. The place is pretty bare with a couple giant trees in the back, and some nasty elms here and there that will go.

I was using Garden Planner and scaled the entire property...then broke it up into halves, front half and back half. I wasn't going to worry about the back half as it's all barren and not what I would see every day.

I was starting to get carried away and be too perfect...exact spacing, predicting shade, and how tall a tree got so it didn't hurt the house if it fell 30-60 years later, etc. Now I'm thinking when I get my tree order in, I may just...plant as I go. To be honest, I'm ordering a LOT of pines and only a few deciduous trees. Maybe 30 total, mainly Oaks, Redwoods, and HoneyLocusts. Then about 100 Pines, various types...mainly Austrian and Ponderosa.

So I am asking now from some professionals if I should be designing everything to the tick I am, or just worry about it when I get my trees? Most of them will be small bare roots, so I won't even be able to comprehend the spread they will have in 40 years if properly spaced unless I draw it out.

Comments (10)