SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
peachymomo_gw

Looking for a good tree to screen a bad view.

peachymomo
13 years ago

My mother's house has a beautiful field with a great big oak at the bottom, we love the view except for an opening that reveals the neighbor's driveway where they park and store their stuff. The opening looks tree shaped to me and I was thinking it would be nice to plant a tree to fill in that space, but because it is close to our beloved oaks I want to be sure to plant something that will co-exist with them without problems. I wanted some expert advice on how far away to plant from the oak trees, does the planting spot being uphill mean anything, how large would a tree have to be to block that view, and most importantly which trees are okay to plant near oaks? Should I just plant another oak?

Here are some pictures:

This is the view from our deck.

{{gwi:357228}}

This was taken from the entrance to the field, you can see the line of young fruit trees I have planted along the fence, I want to add 8 more trees to my little home orchard so I don't want the new tree to be too large or take up too much room. I am in the pic standing around where I thought the new tree should be planted, to give some frame of reference I am 5'7" tall.

{{gwi:357229}}

I'm pretty sure the spot I'm standing in isn't actually the best place to put the tree but it was hard to tell from down there, what do you think a better planting spot would be? Do you think planting another tree to block that view is even a good idea? The property line is halfway between their driveway and the fence at the bottom of our field, you cannot see it in these pictures but there is a drainage ditch that goes along there and it is the dividing live between the properties.

Comments (12)