SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dsd2682

Own Root vs Grafted Austins

SoFL Rose z10
10 years ago

Hi All,
I was thinking of ordering some new austin roses for my garden and I'm contemplating whether or not I can go with Own Root roses as opposed to grafted. Own root tend to be less expensive to order than grafted/bareroot ones. At least with Austins from Chamblees. But my real reason for wanting to try them own root is actually lack of space and I'm hoping they will form a more bushy bush.
I grow all of my roses in containers so root stalk is really not too important as most own root roses that I currently grow seem to do well in their pots (alot of kordes and buck roses for the most part). I have a few austins on Dr Huey and they all seem to grow tall and skinny. Not bushy at all (except for one, my Huntington Rose, she grows wide). I prefer a more bushy plant and am wondering if Dr Huey is causing these long tall canes that shoot straight up. Or is it the actual rose bush's growth habit?
Do you think if I grow them own root they'll form more bushy roses? I don't mind that they will start off slow. I pretty much have a never ending growing season here and all my own root potted roses seem to be more wide than tall as opposed to all my grafted roses that seem to shoot straight up and tend to get gangly. The slower growth may also help me with my lack of space.
I ordered a quietness, polonaise and lion's rose back in April from Chamblees and all have grown quite full and are in bloom now. Each one is about 2-3ft in height and width so slow growth is not really an issue. But if the root stalk has nothing to do with the way the grow (tall and gangly) then grafted might be a better option as I may have the desire to one day stick em in the ground and own roots don't really stand a chance in my Fl soil supposedly.
Also do you think root stalk effects bloom size? I want big blooms as you can all imagine. :)
Thanks for your input.

Comments (6)