SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gekkodojo

american chestnut: tacf vs accf

gekkodojo
10 years ago

After a lot of research, I've decided I would like to take up the fight to bring back the AC in a meaningful way - including dedicating a couple acres in my woodlot to plant a grove and making a meaningful (to me at least) donation to one of the orgs doing work in the field.

Wanted the forum's opinion on relative merits of The American Chestnut Foundation (TACF) vs. The American Chestnut Cooperators' Foundation (ACCF).

On the one hand, I strongly prefer ACCF's mission of using all-american trees that have displayed some blight resistance in their breeding program. To me, bringing back a true American chestnut is far superior to introducing a Chinese / American hybrid as TACF is doing.

On the other hand, organizationally - in terms of scale, transparency, resources, drive, support for growers, etc etc - TACF seems FAR SUPERIOR to ACCF. TACF seems like a real organization, on the verge of achieving its mission accross a large geographic area. Its not clear to me that ACCF has the organizational abilities to really make much of a difference.

As a non-technical person its hard for me to judge the strength of each organizations' science.

I feel its an important decision, at an important time. The further TACF gets ahead of ACCF and introduces hybrid genetics into the forests, the less chance that the true american chestnut will recover.

Anyone thought through these issues?

Comments (14)