SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
traveler000mkl

What to do with small sweet gum and willow oak in our backyard

Mj
10 years ago

Hi all! Based on my inquiry to "Name that plant" forum, I found out the two trees in the middle of this picture are: sweet gum and willow oak. the one on the right is also sweet gum (much larger) but that is in my neighbor's property line...

I looked up and it says these trees grow up to 100+ft in my neighborhood, and these must be babies now. I am bad at estimating tree heights, but the house next doors is 2 story house, FYI. I have many large trees around the house including two red maples, large magnolia and that sweet gum, hemlock - I don't think I need anymore. Also they are a little too close to the house and the existing sweet gum anyways. Also cutting these will give a little more sun to that side of the house giving us more plant options I think.

I got a couple of questions...
1) Do you think it is best if we take them down while they are still small and manageable? Or would they be ok to left alone? I think we definitely want small sweet gum down but not sure about willow oak...?
2) Do you think we can cut these down ourselves? I am not too worried about the small sweet gum because that one is not too tall, but would we be better off getting professionals to do the willow oak? We have no much experience in this, but we do have a chain saw.
3) After cutting them down, do we just plant around the stump? What what can we do to get the stump/roots to decay quickly?

Thanks for your help!!!

Comments (20)