SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jeffcat_gw

Where can I find pictures of insect damage?

jeffcat
14 years ago

I walked out this morning to watch my last austin Graham Thomas bloom, and he bloomed....but only 1 of the 20 buds was undamaged and proper. The remainder is being eaten by something that specifically likes just the bloom and will eat half the bloom as it buds up so you can see the cross sectional area of the bloom. I thought it was just the squirrels being a little curious about the new roses at first as Pat Austin had a couple have the same problem near the base, but Graham Thomas is about 2.5ft tall right now and the buds up top have been getting munched on. Some of them so much so, that they have been eaten completely off the plant and are laying on the ground. I know there are a variety of insects that could do this, but I don't specifically know which one this is or have any specific experience with viewing the individual insect damage. For now, I just sprayed it with some very basic MG rose spray, but I might have to find something more effective to stop whatever it is from eating all my blooms on Graham Thomas.

Comments (4)