SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
robin1916

Adding process / Layering - good enough?

robin1916
12 years ago

Greetings!

I have several questions about my compost pile. Since one is a separate issue, I'll post it separately.

For several reasons I went with the "just pile it" method for my compost pile. I layered a bunch of leaves and started alternating my usual summer kitchen waste (lemon rinds from lemonade and watermelon rind and also random shredded sheets of paper and whatever coffee grounds I can rescue before my family throws it out) in this manner (see below on how I "prepared" the waste for the pile):

a good thick layer of leaves

the rinds, etc ... whatever amount would fit in a large Maxwell coffee canister

several shovels full of leaves (enough to cover the kitchen waste etc to a 3 inch depth or so

more rinds etc

more leaves

more rinds

more leaves

Just to see if it will make a difference (and how much of a difference) I left some of the lemon rinds cut in half and some of the watermelon rind in the whole slices. The rest I chopped into one inch pieces (or so ... however my knife landed). My theory is that each time I turn it, IF there is significant difference between the two, I should see it. If there isn't any significant difference, I won't waste my time.

My pile is now approximately 3 cubic feet and I want to start a new pile. I plan on turning each pile every two weeks or as I have time.

Is this layering good enough or should I change it up for the next pile?

More leaves?

Add something else?

Thanks!

Robin in NC

Comments (13)