SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
eaglesgarden

Lurker here, becoming a composter...need some help...please

eaglesgarden
13 years ago

Ok, I've been lurking around here for a while, reading and learning, and I believe I am ready to take the plunge! I live in Suburbia on a very small lot (50' x 150', and that includes the foot print of the house - which is smack dap in the center of the property!).

I have hated, and continue to hate weeding and throwing the weeds into a trash bag to be carried away. I'm not a "green" guy per say, but I know that I am just throwing away the best thing for my garden, and then I turn around and BUY fertilizers! Talk about crazy!!!

Anyway, I have convinced the BH that we can/should build a 3-bin composting system in the backyard, right next to our little garden. Money being tight, and not wanting to put earrings on a pig, I want to build a bin system that is functional (not to unattractive) and cheap. I am thinking about using T-posts and chicken wire. (I also have some landscape fabric, and was thinking about wrapping the outside in the fabric, to keep down the visual impact, and provide a little shade, so that it doesn't dry out too fast.)

I should have plenty of material for the bin, even though I have such a small property to be able to have one pile going, while I gather materials for another. (That would allow me to use 2 bins to turn materials back and forth, while I build up materials in the 3rd). I get about 3-4 read end baggers full of grass clippings every week to 10 days. So, I am going to need lots of browns to keep it in balance.)

My plans for browns are cardboard boxes from my cereal, pasta, etc. Is this reasonable? I also was planning to use circulars (non-glossy) that come in the mail, and newspaper (all shredded, of course). What other browns could a "city boy" like me find in large enough quantities to keep up with kitchen scraps, grass clippings and seasonal weeds?

Secondly, I was planning on using a corner of the yard that is out of the way. Is there any reason for not putting the bin right up against the fencing? (These fences are chain link, so there is going to be plenty of air circulation.)

Finally, I was planning on growing butternut squash right next to the bin, and allowing the vines to grow up and over the top of the bin on chicken wire (is that strong enough?) so that even while the squash is growing I could still turn the bins.

I am planning on getting some Concrete Reinforcing Mesh to make tomato supports, so I could use some extra, if necessary for the vines to grow on - or to make the compost bins, if the chicken wire is not strong enough. I'll probably still go with some chicken wire though, because the holes on the mesh seem much too large for compost.

Thanks in advance!

JD

Comments (11)