SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
shaunaarontoronto

new to rose gardening

ShaunAaronToronto
11 years ago

Hey Everyone,

I am completely new to this website, and so excited to finally have fellow gardening enthusiasts to converse with. Considering my age (early twenties), it's not exactly the thing I relate to my friends over lol, not that I am complaining...luckily, we relate on other levels ;). Anyways, I am already learning so much from all of you, and with my first post, am excited for this to continue.

Now, down to the nitty gritty!!!! I have dabbled in much of what a zone 4-5 region allows, but the one thing I have avoided, for no other reason than my own ignorance, is rose gardening. There are probably few flowers which I have a greater respect for, and want...no....NEED to... find a place for, if not a multitude of places for.

One side of my property seems to be a microclimate; with a western exposure, therefore the zone 5 as calculated by what I have been able to grow on that side of the property, especially closest to the house.

The furthest part of this side of the property (closest to the street) receives sun from mid morning to dappled by the mid afternoon. Things such as cotoneaster, honeysuckle, peonies, sweet woodruff, chives, sedum, rodgersia, spirea, serviceberry, sumac, thrive in this location. The center of the property receives sun from mid morning to late afternoon.

The Eastern exposure experiences occasional harsh winds from off the lake, but ideal morning sun, and then becomes sheltered by old growth trees by the afternoon. By the lake, in the areas that slope towards the water, is what I guess could be referred to as an alpine, or rock garden, with miniature and dwarf evergreens, mixed in with iris, dogwood, coneflowers, black eyed susan, daisies, sedum, etc all thriving there.

So my question is as follows; considering the site (light conditions, cold hardiness, etc) how would you recommend I incorporate roses into the property, as well as what are some of your favourite varieties that you think I, as well as visitors, would enjoy. I remember seeing a spectacular, what seemed like a miniature, pink, climbing rose (even though it was trailing on the ground) at a cottage when I was really young, and would love a recommendation of something comparable. But would also love to hear what would work in every regard, from shrub, to rambler, to whatever.

P.S. Sorry for the longevity of this post, but it's because I am clearly too excited to be writing this, but even more so for your responses. Can't wait to hear from all of you :)

-Shaun

Comments (13)