SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lesdvs9

New Miniature Rose Garden

lesdvs9
17 years ago

I planted 25 new mini roses and "rescued" 2 "old" 30 year going to be thrown away rose bushes my girl friend gave me and planted them in my brand new 12' wide x 20' long rose garden. I built a pretty and functional retaining wall around my garden in the back yard and planted the first of the roses the Sept. 5th when the rose miniature rose nursery said it couldn't be done because was too hot. Two weeks later the first 12 of the 2" plants were thriving and putting out new leaves and branching out and had new flowers and my 3 - 6" pots were doing the same. I bought all different roses, all my old favorites. (I haven't been able to grow roses in 14 years because we lived in the mountains and the deer ate them as soon as the blooms came out.:) ) Two weeks later, after the 100 degree weather subsided to the 90's and thrilled with my success, I hadn't lost my green thumb, I went down and picked up I'd thought two more minis, I came home with 7 more. I now have 25 new plants and two "old".

My question in general is: I am not having any problems at this time. My minis are all still actively thriving and a few are flowering, but I want to make sure that I ward off any problems with winter will come sooner or later. My sister and I are argueing over soil prep. She lives in Oregon near Portland and has lush soil, I live in hot central CA in a new subdivision that they took all the top soil and left me clay. I rototilled the soil with miraclegrow soil amendments and gypsum to soften the clay repeatedly over a week and down about a foot. I built the retaining wall up a foot and added peat and miracle grow rose soil with the miracle grow moisture soil and miracle grow amendment soil that's supposed to help change clay into "good" soil. Then I put mulch over all the top soil. My sister and I are still argueing that I am wrong and my ph is wrong, which the tester says my soil is totally alkaline, but my roses are thriving. I planted them first with miracle grow shock treatment and then each week with rose fertilizer and now the weather is tapering off with the 90's, so don't know if I should lay off the fertilizer or not. I'm really rusty on my rose gardening. I want to keep my roses healthy. Any advice on both the roses and on the soil?? So everyone in a different time zone may have roses in dormant stages but mine are still actively growing!:) Can you give me some advice?

Comments (19)

Sponsored