SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jcarver6

Rainier Cherry Tree Planting

jcarver6
14 years ago

Hello. I am new to the world of gardening/cherry trees. I absolutely love the Rainier Cherry and would like to plant one tree and one pollintator tree this year. (my little 6 yr old son can't wait to start our gardening project!)

I would like advice on how to prep the tree for planting and planting the trees. I thought about going to a local nursery for purchase, or going with www.gurneys.com? I have heard that the Royal Ann is good to use for pollenation of the Rainier (besides the obvious Bing) I am wanting to use a pollenator that I will get use out of, instead of one that will get gobbled up by the abundance of birds in my area! Does anyone know if the Royal Ann is a good pollenator for the Rainier? Does anyone know if there is good success rate for growing these cherry trees in Indiana? I am more central Indiana location, and my yard has either full or shade areas for planting.Also-do I wait to use bird netting after the flowers have bloomed-when is the right time for the netting? And does the netting really work? (SO MANY BIRDS!!!) And do most nursery's carry bird netting for purchase? (Like I said-I'm new to gardening and trees!) Any suggestions for these trees would be most appreciated! Thank you sincerely!

Comments (2)