SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dobber_gw

Rainier Cherry Tree Help

dobber
16 years ago

I am on my third, and final, try to get a Rainier Cherry Tree to grow here in Madison WI. I am on the low end of zone compatibility, but my question isn't related to that... they won't even take off. They have all been from Gurney's, bareroot, and start off fine in the first month, with the leaves coming out small. Then, from the top working its way down the trunk, the leaves shrivel and eventually fall off.

I assumed that the research I'd done led to a poor placement in the yard, and that it was probably too wet/too much dense clay, so this last attempt is further up the small hill, similar to the Queen Anne that has always thrived in the same conditions, and added Krum to the soil mix to try and break up the clay even more.

The third one is meeting a similar fate, but is still viable at this point. The Queen Anne is on its third growing season and if its ever going to get a cross-pollinator (the Rainier is the one I really want to succeed), its gotta get going soon...the Queen Anne had its first small flower on it this spring.

Any suggestions?

Comments (3)