SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tanama_gw

Large dense rose bushes to deter dog from digging out?

tanama
12 years ago

We have several rescued dogs, and it's very clear why our beloved lab mix ended up as an unclaimed stray: She is the ultimate escape artist, and can dig under a fence in record time.

We've done a number of things already to fortify our yard and fence, but our next line of defense is to plant around the perimeter of our yard (in front of our 6' privacy fence) with bushes that she is NOT going to want to dig through. We already have a number of rose bushes in our back yard, ranging from very old fashioned to much more modern/common, and I'd love to add quite a few more, but I'm not sure what type to get.

I'd appreciate any and all recommendations for rose bushes that grow in medium to large bushes (or short, dense ones that would be good to plan between larger bushes, to fill in gaps) that are dense starting fairly low to the ground (so that all the action isn't 2' above the ground). Extended blooming is great but I need so many things along the fence that I'm also interested in things that are shorter flowering.

I'd also appreciate suggestions for other bushes that would compliment the roses while still encouraging wayward mutts to stay back from the fence! :)

Thanks!

Comments (17)