SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
david883_gw

need suggestions for a yellow/purple bed

david883
10 years ago

So CMK's thread on gardening overhaul got me sparked on this. I just redid the edging in this bed. It was outlined with small-ish rocks and the bed's depth was only about 2ft at most in some spots. I had some garden fencing around this area that I picked up from lowes (as seen in a previous thread about heliopsis). It was to keep the bad, evil dogs out but it made it impossible to cut/mow/whip the grass near it. My original intention here was to extend the bed out further than what it was at, put the fencing back up, but about an inch or two behind the edging. However, once I stepped back and looked at it without the fencing I just can't bring myself to put it back up lol. Hopefully the dogs just leave everything alone (you can see one of the guilty parties peaking through the bars on the deck... that is the face of a plant's natural enemy ha ha!)

Anyway, I'd like to stick with a yellow and purple color scheme. I don't have color schemes anywhere else but I thought I'd give it a go here. The heliopsis was the only thing originally here when I moved in (along with some yellow oriental lilies mixed in with the heliopsis - you can't see in the picture here). There are a total of 3 heliopsis clumps, at least one is being moved to a different location come the fall.

I did buy a few things for this area in the spring but I just planted them here to get them in the ground (I knew it'd be a while before I would have time to really dive into this).

I purchased: yarrow moonshine, phlox blue paradise, lunaria seedlings (immediate left of heliopsis), coral bells obsidian (under heliopsis... obviously SOMEONE didn't take the spread of the heliopsis into consideration...), some golden and purple sage,Adenophora Tashiroi (behind stella d'oro) and a campanula freya that I had to chop back (in front of lunaria). I threw the stellas and a few hostas in just to fill it a little (and get them out of some other areas) but they don't have to stay here.

Anyway, any input would be appreciated. It is a mostly sunny spot with some dabbled shade here and there

Comments (16)