SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dianega

Question about cardboard/newspaper on weeds

DianeGA
13 years ago

Help! I have an area that I didn't get around to mulching this spring since I wanted to add more amendments first. Because of a foot injury, I never got around to either. I had planned to put in some veggies (tomatoes, peppers, eggplants, watermelon).

I've got tons of weeds now & can't weed it. Could I just lay on amendments (mostly coffee grounds & some kitchen scraps), and cover with wet cardboard or newspaper to smother the weeds? And just cut out a hole to plant the veggies through it? Then cover all with pine straw or straw?

Or do I put the cardboard/newspaper down first to smother weeds & THEN the amendments & straw on top?

And do I need to keep the cardboard/paper wet or just water my veggies in their cut out holes?

Do I soak the cardboard/paper before laying down? Or just hose it down once it's down. Can't picture handling the wet newspaper without it becoming a mess. The weeds are about a foot tall - grassy stuff.

Thanks! I need something easy to do since my foot is still in a "boot". Else the garden is a loss this year.

Comments (13)