SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
heavenlyfarm

Making Raised Beds Questions! Newspaper to keep weeds out?

heavenlyfarm
9 years ago

Hi,
So this upcoming year, will be my first year trying veggies. I mean I've tried cucumber and mini pumpkins this year but that was basically it due to no real room to do anything else besides a few pots that failed miserably!!
Fortunately, this Fall we will be putting in a few raised beds to do veggies. So far I have done the first one and filled it up! I mixed in some coffee grounds and egg shells and will use this bed for Tomatoes and Peppers next year!
As I began the second one, I read in a book I was reading in Tractor Supply, that laying down a layer of newspaper at the base before filling, will help keep weeds out the first year....So I did just that and put a thin layer of newspaper and started filling. My question is, is it all safe?? Would love to hear from people who did it and how it worked also and peoples opinions.

Also, the dirt is a mix of sand also I believe (I wasn't with so I have to go with what my parents told me they ordered), and I will be mixing in eggshells, coffee grounds, etc and perhaps compost in Spring? I also remember Burpee's brand of Garden Soil and I thought it worked well when I used it a couple years ago, do you think it would also help to mix it in with the soil I got?

Sorry, if everything seems wishy washy or newbie questions but this upcoming year will be my first year doing veggies and I wanna make it my focus for next years gardens! Plus, my grandmother was known for having a wonderful farm of vegetables and fruit so I don't wanna disappoint her!! :)Thanks
~Michael

Comments (4)