SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fngster

22hp Briggs runs rough then dies when hot

fngster
13 years ago

This is a 12 yr old (I think) Troybilt lawn tractor with a 22hp Briggs Intek V twin model # 407777. Link to pic - http://lh4.ggpht.com/_HZVZ9nWUJXM/TC-ekPms0wI/AAAAAAAABZQ/-txWkWbgJMg/s640/Briggs%2022hp%20Intek.jpg I am developing a real hatred for this POS mower. Belts are a constant hassle but are not the current issue. If I could afford it I would donate this thing to the scrappers but ...

The problem - It would not start up this Spring without spraying starter fluid in the intake. I rebuilt the carb and it fired right up. It ran fine for a few minutes and then started cutting out. I pull on choke and it clears up for 20 secs and then dies. I swapped in a supposed good carb from ebay and the problem remains the same. I installed new spark plugs. I pulled the valve covers and pulled the push rods. They are straight. The valves will push in and return with no signs of sticking. I adjusted the valves to spec and the problem remains the same. Runs and cuts fine for a few minutes and then starts stalling. Last time I left the shroud off and when it shut down it was smoking around the driver (left) side head. There is old oil/dirt grime under that head on the frame. The engine seemed really hot and maybe more so on the left cylinder but that is subjective. I will run it again and use a laser thermometer to confirm this. Oil is good. Nice blue spark when cold. The fuel pump appears to work fine. Even tried a separate gravity feed tank right to the carb. I am a decent shadetree wrencher and am thinking I need to swap in some new head gaskets. Ideas anyone? I figure it is a common enough problem and someone here has btdt. Thanks in advance.

Comments (13)

Sponsored